Starting to cool down.

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by bald egg, Aug 16, 2010.

1. bald egg

bald egg Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Last week the heat index was 110, now the forcast is mid 60's for the next few nights, when do I close the windows? Bob and the girls are 16 weeks old and I am new to chickens. At what tempature do I start to close up the coop. They have weathered the hot summer with a fan and all windows open but now I have to think about the tempature regulation. I plan to close the south window for mid 60's and start gradually closing them all. Any tips from the experts. I could use some advise.

2. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Gosh, I wish we had temps like that! We wont have mid 60's most likely til October(sigh.) You can shut their fan off, but leave the windows open. They need to physically adjust to the changing temperatures. Chickens are able to handle cooler temps more so than hot temps.

3. JLS

JLS Love my feathered babies!

May 29, 2009
    Maine
    My Coop
    I would leave the all the windows open. It's very important for your birds to "weatherize". I live in Maine and I leave the windows open until it hits the low 40's. You'll be pleasantly surprised with how hardy your chickens are.

4. mdbokc

mdbokc Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2009
    Oklahoma County, OK
    Just south of you in OK. Leave the windows open. 60 degrees is heavenly to them.

5. bald egg

bald egg Out Of The Brooder

Nov 16, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Thank You!! I was not sure what cold was to a chicken. So, keep the windows open till we hit the 40's or 50's ? I am a little slow.[​IMG] I know they will adapt to the cold but did not know how they handle an abrupt change. high of 80 today:) but the 90's will return soon:(.

6. JLS

JLS Love my feathered babies!

May 29, 2009
    Maine
    My Coop
    Cold and wet or sleet/snow is not good. In those cases you'ld need to sheild them from the elements. Cool and dry is the way to go [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by