1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Starting to feather????

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by garngang, Apr 24, 2009.

1. garngang

garngang Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2009
    North Central Arkansas
    Ok so first of all I'm very new at this but reading everything from you all has been a big help. But here is something I would like to hear your opinions about. I got some of my chicks from the co-op and some from tsc. Well 4 from tsc are a little older than the others and are beginning to get feathers around their chests and shoulders. How old do ya reckon they are and how long do you think before they need to go out? Thanks a ton.

2. Dr.Doorlock

Dr.Doorlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Garland, Texas
    No matte4r how old any of them are, please make sure they have plenty of space. My chicks grew so fast that I didn't have the coop ready. The cage in the garahe had them so frantick that they pecked each other. Thank goodness for pinless peepers 'cause the chemicals like "No Pekc" and "Blue Coat" did nothing.

They are fine now and don't need the peepers - if for no other reason, they have room to dodge.

3. chickenhick

chickenhick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2009
    Virginia
    Dr.Doorlock :

No matte4r how old any of them are, please make sure they have plenty of space. My chicks grew so fast that I didn't have the coop ready. The cage in the garahe had them so frantick that they pecked each other. Thank goodness for pinless peepers 'cause the chemicals like "No Pekc" and "Blue Coat" did nothing.

They are fine now and don't need the peepers - if for no other reason, they have room to dodge.

What are pinless peepers???? [​IMG]

4. mamaKate

mamaKate Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    SE MO
    When they need to go is up to you. If they're happy and you're okay with the maintenance, they can stay in indefinitely. It's pretty common to put them out in warm weather(70's) after 4 or 5 weeks. Do you have pictures to help with guessing their ages?

5. garngang

garngang Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2009
    North Central Arkansas
    I'm working on some pictures as we speak....hard to do with a chick in one hand and a camera in another. Especially when my chickies don't really like me yet. Poor things! How long I wonder until they recognize me....

6. aidenbaby

aidenbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Lochbuie
    If I had to guess on age, I'd say between 2-3 weeks. Mine just turned 3 weeks Wednesday and several have chest feathers coming in.

When they go out is entirely up to you. Mine are going out as soon as the weather will let me finish painting their coop. I'll be putting a heat lamp in it for them and I'm sure they'll be cozy as I finish building the run.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by