Starting to get chicks outside

Builderbee

Chirping
Jul 27, 2020
Midcoast Maine
So I have a mixed flocked babies with guineas and a couple of different kinds of chicks. They range from 2 - 6 weeks. Due to some loss with my original set of babies I went back and got some more which is why I have the age difference. 2 of my guinea were already living outside. Everyone else is still living the garage life. I know I need to wait until my littlest ones are feathered but at what point do you start bringing them out and leaving them out for longer time periods? When I bring them out in the afternoon they stay out for an hour or so at this point. I don’t like to leave the little ones out for too long.

So I have a mixed flocked babies with guineas and a couple of different kinds of chicks. They range from 2 - 6 weeks. Due to some loss with my original set of babies I went back and got some more which is why I have the age difference. 2 of my guinea were already living outside. Everyone else is still living the garage life. I know I need to wait until my littlest ones are feathered but at what point do you start bringing them out and leaving them out for longer time periods? When I bring them out in the afternoon they stay out for an hour or so at this point. I don’t like to leave the little ones out for too long.
We did the same. We put the older ones out at 4 weeks (Florida heat), and the others out when they reached 4 or 5 weeks as well. We didn’t put them all in at once

What are your temperatures hi/lo? Is the coop already set up?

Depending on how cold it gets, and if you've already slowly started weaning the chickens off heat, you can start thinking about moving the chickens out next week. I don't have experience with guineas nor do I know how old they are in comparison, so can't answer on that front.

My Guineas are the oldest 4-6 weeks, my cream legbars are 4 weeks and my two newest are only about 2 weeks. They have been living in my garage which is around 80 most of the time. Most of them have stopped using the heater except the new little guys. I am finishing painting the coop and I have a small run but am still waiting for some modules to show up for the full area. (I ordered one from Omlet as I don’t have time to build one) I have been taking them outside daily but was wondering if I can put them out for the whole day and bring them back in the evening? It’s in the 70-80’s during the day and dropping to the 60’s at night. I could put the heater out for the little ones during the day. In a week or two I was thinking of transferring them to my shed so they start getting the temperature fluctuations to start acclimating. It has windows and doors so I can make sure they don’t over heat During the day or get too cold at night. It will probably be the beginning of September before I have the full set up to have them live outside. Any advice is appreciated. I wasn’t planning for such an age gap in my chicks but it happened. I don’t want to separate them if I can avoid it.

I don’t want to separate them if I can avoid it.
I agree, keep them together, separating them will mean you then have to reintegration.

So... follow the needs of the youngest.

Transferring them to the shed, and having them wait there until coop and run are ready sounds like the best and easiest plan.

Well.. or make the shed the new coop!

It’s very warm here right now mid to high 80’s. My chicks and keets are 3 or 7 weeks old now (est). I would like to have them outside all day and bring them in at night. Can I do that with the younger chicks? Food, water and shade as well as a secure run will be there for them. I appreciate any feedback.

It’s very warm here right now mid to high 80’s. My chicks and keets are 3 or 7 weeks old now (est). I would like to have them outside all day and bring them in at night. Can I do that with the younger chicks? Food, water and shade as well as a secure run will be there for them. I appreciate any feedback.
Should be fine.

But the first time I stick them all out I like to check on the every hour or so.... make sure they have what they need...

Water, wind block, shade... didn't find an odd spot to get stuck, etc.

Back
Top Bottom