starting to integrate chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by artsyrobin, May 10, 2009.

1. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    Hi everyone- my older chicks are ten weeks old now, the younger ones are a month old, right now they are in a small cage in the brooder room with the older girls- the younger chicks include a roo... how long do i need to have them separate before letting them together?

2. love4mychick

love4mychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2009
    well there is really no time limit [​IMG] all i do is i would put the one monthes in a small cage and one by one put in the ten weeks after the first one gets situated with the months they would have estaplished the pecking order so take out the 10 wekk old and put in another and so on and after they are better all you half to do is put them in there real cage and they should be a ok [​IMG]

3. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I would start now, letting them be together for a little bit at a time, each day, longer each day..... After about a week they will be fine.

4. artsyrobin

artsyrobin Artful Wings

Mar 1, 2009
    Muskogee OK
    Well, the roo decided he wanted to be with the big girls, but when i let the other pullets in it got nasty- so i kept the pullets apart, by the end of the day he had frazzled them all, charging them and making sure they knew not to bug him- but the big girls were so stressed, they would only sit by me- he even guarded the water- i seperated them overnite, peeked in and the girls were settled next to the cage, just watching them....this is my first time doing this- its interesting to watch them try to work it out- surprising though, one of my BO hens is more agressive towards the little ones, except the roo

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by