1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Starting to lay eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by benwantegg, Sep 19, 2012.

1. benwantegg

benwantegg Out Of The Brooder

One of my hen started to lay eggs, ive cracked one to see if everything was ok and it look like there was an umbilical cord and the egg white was really thick. Usually in the eggs that i bought at the store, it doesnt loof and feel like that.

Is it normal?

2. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    Yes it is normal. It takes a month or so for their bodies to get into good quality egg production. I have 3 of 6 that started last week. One give small pullet size egg with good shell in nest box every other day. The other 2 are giving soft shelled eggs mostly from the roost and once in a nest box. I have been eating the hard shelled ones, but not the soft shells. Give them time. [​IMG]

3. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    The umbilical cord you see is the chalaze of which there are two on either side of the yoke. They help hold the yoke in the center of the egg. They fade with the egg's aging, which is why you don't notice them as much in a bought egg.

4. benwantegg

Are they good to eat? What do you mean by ''egg aging''? Does it mean that i got to store the eggs or i got to give more time to my chicken to get older?

5. Sean The IT Guy

Sean The IT Guy Out Of The Brooder

Jun 29, 2012
    The former. Eggs you buy in the store can be a month old before they get to your frying pan. Eggs that come right out of a chicken will have that little stringy bit and the yolk will sit MUCH higher on a very thick egg white. These are signs of a quality egg, not that something is wrong.

6. benwantegg

So its good to eat?

7. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Good to eat.

8. jenifry

jenifry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2012
    South Dakota