Starting to lay in December?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by dftkarin, Aug 29, 2008.

1. dftkarin

dftkarin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    I have 4 pullets who were born on 7/9 so they will be 20 weeks old right as the days are the absolute shortest. I'm not planning to give them supplimental light (no power in the coop) but they are breeds that might otherwise lay during the winter. What do you think will happen? How does it work when chickens become mature enough to start laying around the time that there is so little sunlight?

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

They'll more than likely not start until the days start getting a little longer. That's how some of mine were last winter.

3. dftkarin

Jun 27, 2008
    thanks

4. littlelemon

littlelemon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2007
    Ohio
    I had 6 pullets last year that started to lay in December. They laid well all through the winter. I also don't use any lights or heat in the coop, so I influence their laying behavior in any purposeful way. My bet is that you will have lots of eggs this winter [​IMG]

5. dftkarin

Jun 27, 2008
    That sounds even better! My chickens are barred rocks, an australorp and a wyandotte - all supposed to be winter layers I think. I guess after Dec 21st the days start getting longer and longer - maybe the increase in sunlight (even though its still so short) will trigger/encourage laying?

6. littlelemon

littlelemon Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2007
    Ohio
    Some of mine were barred rocks, so things are looking good for you! They are very cold hardy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by