Starting to lose hope :(

Discussion in 'Quail' started by QuailBreeder, Aug 8, 2013.

1. QuailBreeder

QuailBreeder Out Of The Brooder

So I bought some new hens because for some reason, the hens I had before had completely stopped laying despite the cock still going at it. These new hens have been laying eggs but it doesn't seem that they are fertile. The cock is usually really randy and is at it quite often but I haven't seen the cock make a move. I'm really starting to lose hope now with breeding quails. It used to be so easy when I first had them but now it's gone completely down hill. I bought them some multivitamin liquid supplement to put in their water once a week so I'm hoping that can increase the success in breeding.

Has anyone got anymore advice? I really want to start breeding again [​IMG]

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    What type of birds are you talking about here and what is the ratio of male to female?

3. QuailBreeder

QuailBreeder Out Of The Brooder

They're Japanese quails and it's 1:4. For some reason they've stopped laying completely again, I have no idea what I'm doing wrong? I've given them vitamins, they have nest boxes, there's plenty of sawdust on the ground, I just don't get it, they used to lay all the time and now they've suddenly stopped.

4. GrandmaBird

GrandmaBird Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2012
    Colorado
    It could be anything from food to light. it is time for the seasons to change again and this can cause everything from laying stop to molting. I have heard of more aggression as well. If these birds are new to your flock then it could be just they need to get used to the new environment. sorry I cant help more. Are you in Great Britain? not sure where West Midlands is.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by