Starting to love Chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Boban Along, Nov 23, 2013.

1. Boban Along

Boban Along New Egg

Nov 23, 2013
    So Hello to all! I am a newly reformed "all types" of bird dis-liker. I know how dare I?! Truely birds and especially chickens have always creeped me out, until about 3 weeks ago.
    My son has always wanted chickens for 4-H and since we just moved to CA and have an active poultry group in our 4-H and an area to put chickens, I finally gave in.
    I must say it hasn't been an easy road, we lost all but one of our chicks we got. Luckily the breeder we got them from was fabulous and replaced them and also gave my son an older left over cockerel to tame and work with for free. I will say with all the new chicks and the heart break of loosing them, I started to get a soft spot worrying and fretting over them so much. And of course our older boy who was flighty and made my son nervous at first really won me over too. I ended up being the one to start his taming and now I absolutely LOVE him. You can regularly find him perched on my shoulder while I do school work. It didn't help that our neighbor got a flock of Phoenix's too the same week, and they choose our tree in our front yard as their home. **** roosters were so funny and sweet that watching them and interacting with them outside won me over too. Now I'm hooked and can't wait to go to our first show and get to building out outside coop for our boys.
    Oh yeah we have 4 Phoenix roosters, so yup our BOYS. Don't worry though we already have plans for some Sizzles for my daughters 4-H project and my husband is dying for a few hens for eggs....well he says its just for the eggs, but he is as taken with the boys as I am and the flock in the front yard, so I know that its more about the chickens then the eggs.
    This site since the beginning 3 weeks ago has been a great resource and my go to place for info so far. I can't wait to be a part of it now.

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Welcome to the Chicken Side[​IMG]

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Sounds as if 'chicken math' is striking your entire family.

4. petrel

petrel Chats with Chickens

Welcome!

5. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC!

6. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
  7. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    [​IMG] Chickens can be very addictive!

8. AK Baha

AK Baha Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2013
    Anchorage, Alaska.
    Hello and welcome.[​IMG] Sounds like you are totally hooked.Careful this place is full of enablers.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by