Starting to raise chickens

bretfarmer

Hatching
7 Years
Oct 21, 2012
I have started raising chickens because my cousin friend wanted to get rid of them and i was getting them for free. But i have had them in the coop for a week now and having a problem. I moved them a week ago and they were laying eggs over there but since i have moved them and put them in my coop they havent layed any eggs. Just wondering what was there deal or what. Any suggestions feel free to let me know because im stumped and kinda frustrated.

Chickens don't much like change. They will adjust, in time. It's even possible, depending how old they are, that this will trigger a molt, and they won't lay til that is over. Winter could also interfere, especially if you are very far north. Even a change in the brand of feed might disturb them. If they feel frightened by a predator, or there is a lot more light where they live now than what they had before, this could affect them. And so forth.

Here's hoping they start laying again in a few days or so!

You could also try having a timed light. Chickens need 14 hours of light to trigger their hormones and Egg-laying gears :eek:)
They should start to lay when they get settled in to their new surroundings. IT also helps to move slowly and not have dogs or kids causing too much of a stir around them.

My dogs could very well be the problem cause they are very interested with them every time they come out of the coop and into the pen. I put a timed light in the coop but i hope they get to laying soon!!

My dogs wore the grass out in front of my pen. To keep them from being so interested, I put a few sheets of tin (2feet high X 8ft long) along the fenceline to block the dogs view. This helped the chicksens so much, and the grass too. I left one side of the pen unobstructed so the chickens could see the back yard happenings from ground-level, and so the brave ones could peck the dogs through the fence :eek:)

Back
Top Bottom