We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

Starting to think I have 2 roosters

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Sarjeanp, Jul 20, 2019.

1. Sarjeanp

Sarjeanp Songster

May 26, 2015
    **New pics on page 2** Here you can see my 2 Amaricaunas, 13 weeks old. My husband and I hear one of our hens attempting to do a crow after our rooster crows. It is not a clear-cut crow, more of a squally attempt. He swears it’s coming from my dark hen. I have not seen her do it, I have only heard it. I do see that my dark one has a bit of a bigger comb, but please tell me they are both hens!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
  2. CountryFlock

CountryFlock Songster

Apr 24, 2014
    United States
    That blue ameraucana most likely is a cockerel, especially with those curvy tail feathers. I could be wrong, but

Last edited: Jul 21, 2019
    FowlWitch and ButtonquailGirl14 like this.
  3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. .....

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    The blue bird has a very pronounced and bright comb and what appears in at least one photo to be bright leakage near/on the wingbow.....pointing to cockerel.

4. Sarjeanp

Sarjeanp Songster

May 26, 2015
    Nooooo! Because the reality of peacefully having two roosters and seven hens is far-fetched right? I know that I am pushing it with trying to have one rooster with my girls. But I have bonded with all of these babies since I’ve had them since they were one day old. This will definitely suck.

5. Sarjeanp

Sarjeanp Songster

May 26, 2015
    She definitely has brown/rusty streaks on her feathers. Is this a boy thing? Ack. I am still pretty new with living the chick life.

6. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. .....

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Can you show blue fully from the side? Is the leakage here real ir photo lighting?
    Screenshot_20190720-221134_Chrome.jpg

7. Sarjeanp

Sarjeanp Songster

May 26, 2015
    It’s definitely there, there’s more of it than what is shown in the picture. I will get a picture of “Penguin” first thing in the morning for sure.

8. RoostersAreAwesome

RoostersAreAwesome Free Ranging

May 21, 2017
    Two roos and sevens hens could work out... but you should definitely be prepared if they start fighting or overmating the hens. You could give them their own separate rooster-only pen if that happens.

9. Sarjeanp

Sarjeanp Songster

May 26, 2015
    I actually went back to my pictures from today, and you can see it here kind of.

Attached Files:

10. Aunt Angus

Aunt Angus Crowing

Jul 16, 2018
    Sacramento County, CA
    My Coop
    I am in the same boat! I got 3 new bantams, and my Sebright is definitely a cockerel, and I think one of the two Silkies is, too. I'm going to try to keep them both because I love them so much and because it's darn near impossible to rehome a roo without him ending up on a dinner table. I'll have 2 roos and 6 hens. I am building a second coop/run just in case...

I wish us both luck! We are going to need it...

ButtonquailGirl14 likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: