Starting to think LG Therm is Wrong..

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MakNat, Jan 8, 2010.

1. MakNat

MakNat Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    Its been reading 100 the whole time. If it read high then it'll be a late hatch. But if its read low they should have hatched or at least started or I've cooked them. Its day 21 and there is NOTHING going on. Its confusing too about the humidity. It says to keep water in the rings at all times. Then at lockdown raise the humidity. But how? All it says ti do is add water... And remove the 2nd vent plug. Does the bator NOT being opened raise the humidity? It tried to find a humidity reader, but had no luck before this run. I'm very worried that things have not been quite right...

2. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    if you used the thermometer that came with the bator more then likely it is off it usually is, you should run down to your local walmart and pick up a 7 dollar hygrometer and temp gauge, you can see it here in my pic
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] its made by springfield, this is a very common one used by alot of people in their incubators

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
  3. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    All these are Available at walmart online

Springfield Wireless Moisture Meter with Indoor/Outdoor Thermometer $19.00
    Springfield Digital Indoor Thermometer with Hygrometer $6.47
    Springfield Basic 3-Channel Radio Frequency Thermometer $13.84

All 3 have the hygrometer!!! I order one of each to check out in my bators, as my local Walmart had none of them!

4. MakNat

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    What department at walmart? How 'off' do you think the LG is? There were living chicks day 18. I'm making myself sick worrying... At 3:30 pm today was the beginning of day 21, they should have started something by now............

5. lemurchaser

lemurchaser Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2008
    Corvallis, OR
    I usually have 3 different types of thermometers in my incubator and one has a hydgrometer. There is a 2-3 degree variation in mine, so I just got my "spot check" thermometer from brinsea which is very accurate. Don't trust any one thermometer, it is too likely to be misleading.

6. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    mine was by the plumping area with all the elctrical cords and that stuff, and just like everyone else said having more then 1 is a good idea i always have atleast 2 if not 3, also remember you will prob need one for brooder to make sure it is warm enough for the chicks too

7. MakNat

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    Well I hate myself if this has all gone bad... You would think the therm they sell with the bator would work.. I think this is bad.. It think so, I'm so upset. Is it too late to try to raise the humidity? With wet sponges, I could sneak them in super quik.... I want to reach in and grab an egg just to see if it is trying. What if the humidity is off? Its bad. They should be doing something by now..

8. Barred Rocker

Barred Rocker cracked egg

Jul 15, 2009
    King and Queen Co, Va
    I used the Accu-Rite digital thermometer/Humidity last year and I don't think it was all that accurate. I tested it this year with a regular mercury thermometer and there was a 10 degree difference.

9. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    when you say therm. do you mean those little bitty crappy ones that were in the box or did you ge some that were big enugh to read with human eyes?

10. MakNat

Aug 19, 2008
    Ky
    The one in the box. It couldn't have been off too far. Most grew till lockdown. Now there is Nothing happening and its TIME!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by