Starting to think this egg is a double yolker.. Great.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by thatduckguyy, Aug 16, 2011.

1. thatduckguyy

thatduckguyy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2011
    I have been chipping the eggshell forever. I am scared to hit the placentea should i just keep going? The little guy is stuck ofr csomething I see him pushing but he just can get out. This may be a double yolker so i really dont know what to do. Could I pinch the eggs sides to help him get out or something? please help [​IMG]

2. thatduckguyy

Jul 25, 2011
    Here are some pics to help.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

If you haven't seen blood and you think it's a double, I'd say to keep going SLOWLY. If there are two, then they may not be able to get out without help or they could hurt eachother. But I'm not super experienced so don't quote me. It's just what I've been told.

4. thatduckguyy

Jul 25, 2011
    Quote:hm.. do you know if I am suppose to take all of the shell off or keep some at the end?

5. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    I've seen that before, why don't you peel away all of the eggshell. Looks like you can do it, leaving the membrane. Then remove the membrane last. Do this very slowly, and if there is any bleeding, stop immediately.

If it looks like a little bit of yolk sac is still there, just leave the baby in the incubator, on a clean paper towel. He might make it just fine, but may need an extra day in the incy.

I think you can probably help him all the way out. (This is totally frowned upon, but I've done it......)

Good luck!

6. thatduckguyy

Jul 25, 2011
    Quote:started to take the embrane off and BAM right away i saw blood. Maybe he could be deformed? This is my first time I am very scared

7. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    started to take the embrane off and BAM right away i saw blood. Maybe he could be deformed? This is my first time I am very scared

I think maybe he just wasn't quite ready. Is there a pip on the other end where you can see the bill?

8. thatduckguyy

Jul 25, 2011
    Quote:pip on one end so maybe it is one. I really dont knwo whats going wrong, on top of that the other ducklings are pecking at him and he is chirping for help.

9. TinyChickenLady

TinyChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:started to take the embrane off and BAM right away i saw blood. Maybe he could be deformed? This is my first time I am very scared

If there is blood, stop right where you are. Wrap a wet, warm papertowel around the egg except where his head is and put him back in the bator. Leave him for a couple hours. If he slows down his noises before the couple hours are up, then go to him and start again. Otherwise leave him for a bit. Go back in a couple hours and start working again IF HE NEEDS IT. There is likely to be a little blood because of his umbilical cord. But if there's a lot then do the above. Good luck [​IMG]

10. thatduckguyy

Jul 25, 2011

If there is blood, stop right where you are. Wrap a wet, warm papertowel around the egg except where his head is and put him back in the bator. Leave him for a couple hours. If he slows down his noises before the couple hours are up, then go to him and start again. Otherwise leave him for a bit. Go back in a couple hours and start working again IF HE NEEDS IT. There is likely to be a little blood because of his umbilical cord. But if there's a lot then do the above. Good luck [​IMG]

i tried again and got most of the membrane on it was really stuck to him he must have been shrink wrapped. so he bled again i stuck him back in I really dotn know what to do if I pull the membrane off then it will really hurt him.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by