Starting to wander

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by a.graham52, Apr 20, 2019.

1. a.graham52

a.graham52 In the Brooder

Oct 6, 2018
    Hey all, first spring (and a wet one) at that for our ducks. We have always had them free to roam all fall and winter. Now that they are a year old they have become adventurous and traveling to the neighbores. Any recommendations to keep them around before I build a fence. We're moving in 2 months to a different state and don't want to take the fence with us. Plan on a fence once we are in new hampshire.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Temporary pen. Just to risky letting them wander off predators for one and the most likely. I use plastic poultry fencing from Lowes and those fence stakes that have the sharp point you just poke into the ground. works great. That you can roll up and move with you too.

3. I agree. Inexpensive fencing that you can take with you. You didn't mention what kind of ducks you have. Some can fly, but I know the white Pekin ducks can't. They do a lot of flapping but never get airborne.

DuckyDonna and Miss Lydia like this.
  4. Jbum

Jbum Songster

Apr 10, 2019
    Mid Michigan
    TSC or The Depot and get the plastic fence orange or black and T post. Easy to install and take down and move with you.

DuckyDonna likes this.
  5. a.graham52

a.graham52 In the Brooder

Oct 6, 2018
    We ended up getting some temporary fencing. Part of our concern is the amount of clay in our ground. I foresee having to move the one multiple times most likely. I'm waiting to get settled in our new place and I was going to go the enclosure route

Miss Lydia and chickens really like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: