Starting to wonder if "she" is a "he"

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by FoosterRooster, Jul 9, 2010.

1. FoosterRooster

FoosterRooster In the Brooder

Jul 9, 2010
    Gresham
    This is Ringo, one of my black Austrolorps.(Yes, I know Ringo is sort of a guy's name but she used to have white rings around each eye--maybe it was fate) "She" is 12 weeks old and is starting to make me nervous. "Her" comb and wattles grew like wild fire over the last month and then, the day before yesterday she began a strange WAAAAA sort of sound that I pray is not the beginning of a crow. She has done it the last three mornings, but only 4 or 5 times, then no more. Obviously too young for eggs yet so I am hoping that someone can tell me "she" is NOT a roo! Can't have one here. My Buff is in charge, and Ringo is very friendly and docile, no spurs, so, maybe she is just a weird chick?

Ringo is the one in the middle in the first picture, Herkermer, the other Black Austrolorp is to Ringo's right, and the Rhode Island is to her left.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Our fingers are crossed for her to still be a "her!" I'd hate to have to give her up, she's become one of my favorites.

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    Yeah, that's a roo.

3. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Songster

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    yup it's a boy

4. emjay

emjay Songster

Sep 6, 2009
    for sure a boy !!!!! they are beautiful boys, all their colors.

5. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Ringo is a boy, and so is your RIR if I a seeing those hackles right.

6. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    The one in the first picture, far left side, looks to have pointy roo tail feathers too, but that would just be the angle of the picture.

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Cock-a-doodle - ROO!

8. jarcoo0153

jarcoo0153 Songster

Mar 13, 2010
    Levelland, Texas
    Quote:X2

9. HorseFeathers

HorseFeathers Frazzled

Apr 2, 2008
    Southern Maine
    Cockadoodledoo!

10. FoosterRooster

FoosterRooster In the Brooder

Jul 9, 2010
    Gresham
    Quote:AAARRRGGHH! You think the RIR is a roo too? Dang it....I'll have to wait that one out and see.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by