Starting to worry

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChickenCrazy01, May 4, 2011.

1. ChickenCrazy01

ChickenCrazy01 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2011
    When I checked my eggs yesterday morning around 8AM I noticed one had piped early. The little chick rested all day and started chirping last night but still only a pip. Last night around 7PM I noticed my 2nd egg had piped but it had a little bit of yoke on it. I finally quit watching the eggs through the window and got up expecting at least a zipped egg and both eggs are still just pips. It has been way over 24 hours on the first egg and coming up on 24 for the 2nd should I start worrying yet? The first I can see the beak coming out of the hole and it chirps but no progress. The 2nd egg is just still and had a few movements this morning but there is some dried up yoke around the pip hole. Today is day 20 for the eggs and humidity is at 78%.

2. fifelakelooper

fifelakelooper Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2009
    fife lake, mi.
    I think your humidity is high? They recommend 65% for my incubator...not sure of yours. Since they pipped through to air...they shouldn't be drowning but I would open the vents more and see if the humidity can come down. I have had several hatch after a 24 hour wait on zipping.

3. ChickenCrazy01

ChickenCrazy01 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2011
    I have the LG still air, it was give to me by my husband's uncle so I didn't get a instruction book. I have been using the net and BYC for my learning tool. I just pulled one of the red plugs to lower the humidity. Little chick was still chirping away.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by