Starting today!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mtnkids, Dec 19, 2009.

1. mtnkids

mtnkids Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2009
    Southeast Iowa
    So for the very first time I started eggs incubating yesterday. 26 buff orpington eggs, shipped from northern Iowa to southeast Iowa so not too far. [​IMG]

I have to say that already, all the posts on here have been amazingly helpful!

I set up my brand new Little Giant incubator about 5 days ago just to give myself plenty of time to get the temperature set right, and due to the advice I found on this site, (I think it was purple chicken who did a thread about the little giant?) I got the temp stable within 4 hours and it has stayed since![​IMG]

I did not spring for the auto turner, maybe next time, we'll see. I have them in styrofoam egg cartons, large end up. I added just a half teaspoon of water to the bottom because we burn with wood and our house stays pretty dry. I have ordered a digital thermometer/hygrometer and expect it to be here by Tues. or so. I will attempt to make my own little wiggler for it, again, from what I found on here as advice.

You all are a fantastic group with a lot of experience and helpful advice. If I have any success with this batch of eggs, I will owe it to the info from this site. [​IMG]

2. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

[​IMG] Happy to see you posting! Your very first post, here in the incubating forum! Cool! You do know that it is quite addicting, right? LOL

Welcome, and happy hatching!

3. trulefty

trulefty Out Of The Brooder

Dec 12, 2009
    Magnolia, Ms
    [​IMG]

4. farmin'chick

farmin'chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2009
    Rocky Mount VA
    Yes, [​IMG] !! Now that you have set your eggs, start to build your COOP. Yes, I said coop -- you can make do with a cardboard box brooder, but before ya know it, you'll need your coop, and you'll want to spend so much time watching your baby chicks you won't have time to do it after they hatch!

[​IMG] good hatching vibes to you!

5. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    [​IMG] from Alaska

[​IMG]

waiting for the pics
    [​IMG]

6. mtnkids

mtnkids Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2009
    Southeast Iowa
    Well, I do have a pretty nice coop. I will probably build some new nesting boxes as I never liked what I had in mine.

I have had chickens before, just not from the hatching stage. I raised some very nice barred rocks and light brahmas from day old from Murray McMurray. Then a stray dog showed up and pretty well slaughtered them all. Didn't eat them, just killed them. [​IMG] Also at the end of the summer I had a really pretty pair of black cochins (standard) and I think a fox got them. They disappeared completely, not a feather, and everything still looked the same.

If my hatch is successful, I plan on keeping the chickies in the house for the first few weeks, I think I did 6 weeks on the ones I ordered. Then move them to the coop.

I have saved all my chicken stuff, I knew I wanted to get chickens again, just wasn't sure when.

7. Cindiloohoo

Cindiloohoo Quiet as a Church Mouse

Dec 19, 2009
    Southwest TN
    That's awesome! Congrats, and best of luck to you. I started some Delaware's myself today and am just as anxious as I was with the first batch to see the babies popping out in 3 weeks...it is VERY addictive!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by