starting turkey poults on organic chick starter?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Anne Wertheim, Feb 28, 2014.

1. Anne Wertheim

Anne Wertheim New Egg

Feb 1, 2014
    My first batch of turkey chicks hatched yesterday. I am so excited. They are sooooo adorable and are looking super healthy and happy.
    I want to raise them on organic feed, but the only organic starter I can get here is made for chickens.
    Can I feed them the chick starter and supplement with high protein foods like cooked egg, sunflower seeds, quinoa?
    What other foods are high in protein, that I could add? Could I give them little tiny pieces of meat?
    I currently have them with some australorps chicks in the brooder, that hatched at the same time. Those guys need less protein. How long can I keep them together, before the chicks should be put on less protein?

Another question: I still have 4 unhatched turkey eggs in the incubator. Their due date is today, but all the others hatched yesterday and made a ruckus in the incubator, shuffling and stumbling over the remaining eggs.
    How likely is it that these 4 eggs still hatch? They don't have any cracks in them yet.
    Egg that got started the same day, wouldn't they also hatch all at the same day?

Thanks for any input!
    This forum is incredible. This is my first post, but I have gotten such a wealth of information form here already. Thank you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by