starting turkeys

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by JLaw, Oct 1, 2013.

1. JLaw

JLaw Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2013
    Forestville NY
    Ok we started chickens and turkeys this year. For turkeys we got bbb because someone was ordering them already so we had them add 2 more for us. My wife is wanting to keep raising turkeys so I get to do some leg work or try to at least. I have a problem of every time I go to google something about turkeys 8 times out of 10 I get cooking info so i'm making this thread which has probably been made a million times over but not seeing.

1. Is there a chart for turkeys like this http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html but instead of egg color tells skin color, size, average time to grow and how good it flys?

2. Do all heritage turkeys grow at the same rate or is there some that grow a little faster for a little less feed cost?

3. Does skin color really make much of a difference when processing the turkey?

4. Is there hybrid turkeys that grow faster but can still mate naturaly?

5. Is there a turkey you would recommend for a starting turkey?

This is a hobby/dinner thing so trying to keep it on the cheaper/easier side of things. I'm not wanting to buy turkeys every year i'd rather hatch my own flock. I saw one site where a farmer was listing differnces in some of his turkeys and rating the taste but lost the site and even that didn't answer most my questions.

Thanks for any info and advice.
    josh

2. JLaw

Mar 18, 2013
    Forestville NY
    update going though murrymcmurry.com and just googleing each breed to try and get info on each one.

3. barra060

barra060 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2013
    I'm new to the whole poultry raising myself. I bought 15 day old's from Stromberg's and I am starting to like them more than the chickens I have! They seem to be much more curious and friendly this early. If the bbb stands for broad-breasted bronze, then you will have a fast grower with a lot of breast meat and leg trouble if not too careful from what I read. They also usually can't breed naturally unless you put the tom on a diet (too big to mount). The larger hatcheries/third party suppliers, such as cackle, mcmurray, and strombergs, usually have a good description of the breeds. I'd also look at porterturkey.com. He gives good description on the genetics of turkeys and most, if not all, of the heritage breeds.

4. JLaw

Mar 18, 2013
    Forestville NY
    Yeah they are broad brested. Was what they ordered. But i want a bird i can breed like you said they get too big.
    My wife loves them cause the seem calmer and more social with us. We never handled them and they come around is more than the chickens. Unless we have treats then the chickens are in our lap and turkeus running away they don't understand treats yet.

I'll have to check that site out thanks for the info.
    Josh

5. ivan3

ivan3 spurredon Premium Member

Jan 27, 2007
    BOCOMO
  6. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I just read this on Porter's site. WOW! Has anyone ever experienced them coming up "a few short"? I want to order from them but I don't want any subs.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  7. JLaw

Mar 18, 2013
    Forestville NY
    I haven't ordered but I think that right there is going to stop me from ordering when I do deside on a breed.

8. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana

:thumbsup

See there, I thought it was just me being a meany but I am 100% with you on that. That may be a deal breaker. So what if I want 8 and they are 4 short? So, I have to get 4 of another breed? I don't like that. :mad: I have only raised BR for 10 years. I don't want any other breeds. :/

9. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA

10. popsicle

popsicle Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm certain that policy has been in effect for at least all of last hatching season.

I ordered the assorted, I was originally super thrilled about the mottleds, but the Auburn is my surprising favorite.

I'm finding my mixed batch of heritage breeds are growing at different rates. The Penciled Red Palms and Auburn are growing faster than the Mottled Chocolates. My "crossbreds" are all over the board in growth, some are big and others are tiny.

They ALL fly obnoxiously well at 9-weeks old.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by