Starting up Quail for meat, eggs, and breeding.

Discussion in 'Quail' started by ThaJuicyJuice, Feb 1, 2013.

1. ThaJuicyJuice

ThaJuicyJuice Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2011
    Miami
    I am hatching out a couple hundred, and not quite sure on the cage set up. I would like to do the stacked hanging cages.

Is there anyone that has made the battery type cages, or is that something most purchase? Any pictures, advice would be greatly appreciated.

2. MrNappy

MrNappy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2012
    Ajax, Ontario
    Battery type cages are considered illegal in the UK i think 2011 or 2012 not sure. 'Cause people crowded a lot of quail/chicken into a little space. IMHO i like the battery cage design very easy to feed/clean/water but they were banned cause people are like 'they never see sunlight, blah blah blah' 'they are too crowded blah blah blah' 'they are very unhealthy blah blah blah'. I dunno about U.S and Canada i looked for em online and mostly African sites were selling. (Actually, i only saw African sites selling)

I don't know what you mean by hanging cages. Although for quail you want to have more length than height, if you're making wire, put something under too catch poo for faster cleaning.

If you try the rabbit style cage method (high rising floors), then you would want to put wood shaving (pine shaving?) and clean regularly (depending on how many you have)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  3. ThaJuicyJuice

ThaJuicyJuice Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 3, 2011
    Miami
    Thanks for your response. On the fence about purchasing something or making something

4. MrNappy

MrNappy Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2012
    Ajax, Ontario
    Basically peoples opinions about cages are split into wire and high rise (?) (rabbit style).

The wires are generally used for production.

The high rise are generally for pets.

Even though i have my quail as pets on the high rise style, i would like to get some for production and use battery style, 'cause in Ontario barely anyone has quail, haha. You could make a lot selling eggs in Canada (more than U.S. anyway, but the border is a nasty problem)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by