Starting up the 'bator - I must be crazy :)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Steve_of_sandspoultry, Dec 19, 2009.

1. Steve_of_sandspoultry

Steve_of_sandspoultry Overrun With Chickens

Just finished cleaning up one of our GQF Sportsman incubators and have it warming up. Tomorrow we will have some Speckled Sussex, Chochin, Mottled Java and Black Copper Marans going in. Here we go again. [​IMG]

Steve in NC

2. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    [​IMG] Have fun! I must be crazy too. lol My poor incubator has yet to see a break in the last few years. I keep saying soon... [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. SilkieTime

SilkieTime Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Joelton Tn.
    This is my very first hatch, Oh my. Old 1602N Hova. Cleaned ready to go yesterday. Shipped eggs, set 24 hrs. No water in well 99.5 to 100.5 40%. today I just found the holes at the bottom made way for them and set eggs, that and opening to add eggs changed my incubater to 74 and climbing. That was at 10:00am today Stopped at 99.1 38%, not good turned it up a little now at 12:38 pm 99.5/110.4 37% hope it holds there. 32 eggs. I don't think I need to smoke in this room. Have a tube in if I need to add water, and I have a new humidifer for day 18 if I need it . Is today day one or tomorrow? I forgot I need to turn the turner off for 24 hours,right?
    I wish I could help you but this is like the blind leading the blind. Read read read. If you want me to stay here with you for suport and cheering section would be glad to. Happy hatching

4. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    hahaha I'm working on my homemade incubator...still trying to get the wiring right. My dad keeps telling me that we should wait until winter is over, but.... [​IMG] I told him since the little chicks would have to stay inside, they can stay in my bedroom and I will be cleaning out their box so it doesn't stink up the whole house. [​IMG]

Good luck!

5. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:Hooray! Another new hatcher! You are gonna love it! Good luck!

Is today day one or tomorrow? I forgot I need to turn the turner off for 24 hours,right?

If you set them before noon, it is day one. If you set after noon, then the next day is day 1. Anyway, that's what I was told! LOL
    I never turn my turner off for 24 hours. I put them in the turner and turn it on, as soon as I set them.

I wish I could help you but this is like the blind leading the blind. Read read read. If you want me to stay here with you for suport and cheering section would be glad to. Happy hatching

You are in excellent hands, in this thread. The first 2 posters are experts!

Steve ....

Good luck! I am sure you will have a great hatch! Do you often hatch year around? I like the idea of winter hatching, so that the new ones will be laying in the spring. On the other hand .... I just like hatching (anytime!) [​IMG]

6. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    You are in excellent hands, in this thread. The first 2 posters are experts!

Hey...I'm an expert, too!!! [​IMG]

LOL Just kidding!!! I'm far from being an expert. [​IMG] [​IMG] I know a lot about hatching in general, but building incubators is what I'm just getting the hang of.

But anyway, kathy is right...this is probably the best place to go for tips, advice, etc. on hatching. There's so much knowledge from so many different people out there. [​IMG]

Good luck and be sure to post pics if you can!!!​

7. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Quote:Oops .... I meant to say .... all the other posters on this thread are experts! LOL [​IMG]

8. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Quote:Oops .... I meant to say .... all the other posters on this thread are experts! LOL [​IMG]

LOL I was joking hahaha I'm really no expert! [​IMG] I'm not exactly new to everything, but I'm still not an expert...yet. [​IMG]

9. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    [​IMG]
    I have to wait for spring....-26 here today, not good for brooding!

10. SilkieTime

SilkieTime Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Joelton Tn.
    These are shipped eggs and set 24 hrs. I still turn it on day one? Today day one at 10am almost 7 hrs now. 99.5/100.1 37%. 32 eggs. I bet I looked in the window 100 so far. Long way to go.

Kathyinmo- Not loving it right now. Sponges aren't working. My name is Cathy two.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by