Starting with Quail.. have questions.

CobraFnD

In the Brooder
9 Years
Dec 7, 2010
I am getting ready to get started in raising quail. I have been raising chickens for several years, and just have to figure out what type to get.

I am getting ready to get a Genesis 1588 bator with the turner from G.Q.F. they have a package deal that comes with 30 bobwhite eggs. I have heard some people say that BW are not as easy as some of the others to raise. I really like eating BWs, but have never tried any of the others. I am strictly raising them to eat. I know a guy that raises Pharoah strictly for eggs. He pickles them. He said the birds were not that great to eat, and where small. I have not tried them personally.

I guess my question is this... what is a breed that is easy to raise, grows fairly quick, lays a lot of eggs, and is as good as a BW? Someone said A and M, but I just dont like the fact they are white.. just does not look natural. But if thats the better ones, thats what it will be.

Thanks for any input, and I am sure there are many opinions on this, but thats what I am looking for.

Well, Cobra......... if you are raising quail for meat birds, you won't get any better meat birds than the Bobs. BUT, if you want quick reproduction from egg to edible meat birds, you may want to go with "other" breeds. I've done the Texax A&M thing, and as for me..... dark breast meat is not my idea of "quail". BUT.......that's me........and most others will differ. I raise the "big" Bobs to eat. Personally, I will never try another breed. AGAIN.... that's me. Good luck, what ever you do.......
smile.png
(....... and pickled quails are the absolute BOMB
thumbsup.gif
)

Last edited:
Hi, New to quail mysel fand certainly can't claim to be an expert. Check into Jumbo Brown Coturnix. Good egg producers, good meat producers.
thumbsup.gif

Last edited:
So, pretty much all other quail other than bobs are dark meat? What about Georgia Giants?

Quote:
CORRECT, BUT AS RANDALL STATED GG'S ARE A STRAIN OF BOB WHILE.

OTHER QUAIL -

BUTTON QUAIL== CUTE AS CAN BE, TINY COLORFUL GREAT EYE CANDY... OTHERWISE KINDA USELESS--- TOO SMALL TO EAT AND TO SPASTIC TO HANDLE

COTURNIX QUAIL- ALSO KNOWN AS PHAROAH QUAIL, OR JAPONESE QUAIL== THESE ARE YOUR PRODUCTION BIRDS! INCUBATES 16-18 DAYS, SEXUALLY MATURE AT 6-8 WKS OF AGE AND CAPABLE OF 300 EGGS/YR/ HEN= ALL DARK MEAT NO MATTER THE STRAIN, COLOR, OR SIZE==MANY STARINS AVAILABLE SUCH AS JUMBO OF ANY/ALL COLORS, A&MS, ETC. IF YOU WANT SHEER NUMBERS OF EGGS OR VOLUME OF MEAT GO WITH THESE

BOB WHITE STRAINS- BUTLER GIANTS, GEORGIA GIANTS, NORTHERN JUMBO, ETC... A BOB IS A BOB SIZE MAY VARY BUT TASTE DOES NOT AND THESE PREVAIL IN TASTE AS OPPOSED TO MOST OTHER SPECES. THEY ARE SLOW GROWING AND NOT PROLIFIC LAYER LIKE COTURNIX. IF YOU WANT TASTE GO WITH BOBS

TEXAS BLUE SCALED QUAIL-- PRETTY MUCH THE SAME GENERAL DESCRIPTION AS A BOB WHITE ONLY MUCH MORE EXPENSIVE AS THEY ARE SOMEWHAT OF A RARE/ ORNIMENTAL AT THIS STAGE

GAMBELS QUAIL--- PRETTY MUCH SAME AS BOBS IN GENERAL DESCRIPTION AND BLUE SCALED AS WELL IN THEY ARE ALSO A ORNIMENTAL SPECES AND NOT WELL SUITED FOR FOOD SOURCE BIRD

CALIFORNIA VALLEY QUAIL--- SEE GAMBELS

ELEGANT OR BENSONS QUAIL--- FORGET IT BUDDY! 4 BUCKS AN EGG + SHIPPING--NOT EVEN GOING THERE
smile.png

MOUNTAIN QUAIL--- WORSE THAN BENSONS!!!!

MONTEXUMA/ MEARNES QUAIL--- IF I CATCH SOMEBODY EATING BIRD OR EGG THERE WILL BE WAR!!!!!!!!! LOL--- JUST KIDDING THESE ARE VERY RARE IN CAPTIVITY AT THIS TIME AND EVEN MORE COST PROHIBITIVE THAN ALL THE REST LISTED HERE AND THEY CAN BE LIL BOOGERS TO RAISE AND BREED
hu.gif
THUS THE RARITY AND EXPENSE.

NOTE BUTTONS AND COTURNIX ARE OLD WORLD QUAIL SPECES... BOBS, TBS, GAMBELS, VALLEYS, MOUNTAINS, MEARNES ARE ALL NEW WORLD QUAIL. FOR THE MOST PART STATING THINGS IN GENERAL... OLD WORLD QUAIL ARE HIGH VOLUME PRODUCERS, WHEREAS NEW WORLD QUAIL ARE STILL WILD GAMEBIRDS.. THEY ARE NOT NEARLY AS PROLIFIC AS OLD WORLD SPECES AND MANY ARE AS OF YET TOO COST PROHIBITIVE FOR THE DINNER TABLE AND CONSIDERED RARE ORNIMENTAL SPECES

Last edited:
WOW... Thanks JJ... Just what I needed... Bobs... of some kind, it is.

Thanks to everyone. Kinda glad I get the Free bob eggs now.

Back
Top Bottom