Startiong first incubation attempt as soon as eggs arrive....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ChicwannaB, Dec 4, 2011.

1. ChicwannaB

ChicwannaB Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2011
    Munger, MICHIGAN
    I have ordered Lemon Cuckoo Orpingtons, a dozen of them, and going to put some (hopefully fertile) barred rocks of my own in with them) as soon as the eggs arrive.
    Im using a still air, styrofoam incubator, do I need to set some sort of water pan in there too, it came with NO instructions, tho brand new. ?? And I suppose a thermometer as well so I can make sure temp stays at WHAT 99?
    Have started a MYPAGE for them as well, so you can see the bator Im using. You can watch the progress as I will update as I go along.
    Please join me on my first attempt at being a mother hen.
    Thanks in advance.

2. ChicwannaB

May 22, 2011
    Munger, MICHIGAN
    Im presently getting batteries set up and programming a digital thermometer and also have a manual thermo, doing 2 to see how they differ. I know nothing about what Im doing.

Ooooooooooooooooh, I do hope someone does this along with me......Im nervous as a mother hen. I probably shouldn't have bought expensive eggs for my first attempt, but if I get ANY out of it, I'll be thrilled. (with the shipping about $40)

I really don't need MORE chickens, just thought this pretty lemon color was nice and and AND.......excuses excuses, I've got an addiction to feed, what can I say??

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I see you have a Little Giant still air. Here is a tip for the temperature control. It really helps to control the temp better.

[​IMG][​IMG]

4. ChicwannaB

May 22, 2011
    Munger, MICHIGAN
    Quote:THAT's IT!! yours was the one I saw. I think I saw this very thing (thermometer/hygrometer) on ebay and wondered if it would help. you drop the little feeler into the vent hole right?? How do you know the temp is acurate tho, did you compare it with other thermometers? I have three in mine right now and have three different readings. The digital is at 98. the round one is at 103, and the therm/hygro is right at 100. Which one should I go by. I don't want them to die.

5. nurse_turtle

nurse_turtle Chillin' With My Peeps

May 28, 2011
    Foothills of NC
  6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:THAT's IT!! yours was the one I saw. I think I saw this very thing (thermometer/hygrometer) on ebay and wondered if it would help. you drop the little feeler into the vent hole right?? How do you know the temp is acurate tho, did you compare it with other thermometers? I have three in mine right now and have three different readings. The digital is at 98. the round one is at 103, and the therm/hygro is right at 100. Which one should I go by. I don't want them to die.

There are two methods that you could use to calibrate thermometers -

Ice Point Method - Fill a container with crushed ice and water. Ensure that the container have enough crushed ice to provide an environment of 32 degrees F, so you may need to add more ice into the container during the process. It will takes about 4 to 5 minutes for the mixture of water to stabilized. Then insert the thermometer which needs to be calibrated into the appropriate immersion depth. Hold the thermometer away from the bottom and sides of the container to avoid error. If your thermometer is not accurate at 32 degrees F, adjust the thermometer accordingly.

Boiling Point Method - Fill a container with distilled water and heat it up. After the temperature in the water has reached the boiling point, insert the thermometer . Be sure to leave at least a two inch gap between the thermometer sensing element and the bottom and sides of the container to avoid error. If your thermometer is not accurate at 212 degrees F, adjust the thermometer accordingly.

7. ChicwannaB

May 22, 2011
    Munger, MICHIGAN

There are two methods that you could use to calibrate thermometers -

Ice Point Method - Fill a container with crushed ice and water. Ensure that the container have enough crushed ice to provide an environment of 32 degrees F, so you may need to add more ice into the container during the process. It will takes about 4 to 5 minutes for the mixture of water to stabilized. Then insert the thermometer which needs to be calibrated into the appropriate immersion depth. Hold the thermometer away from the bottom and sides of the container to avoid error. If your thermometer is not accurate at 32 degrees F, adjust the thermometer accordingly.

Boiling Point Method - Fill a container with distilled water and heat it up. After the temperature in the water has reached the boiling point, insert the thermometer . Be sure to leave at least a two inch gap between the thermometer sensing element and the bottom and sides of the container to avoid error. If your thermometer is not accurate at 212 degrees F, adjust the thermometer accordingly.

I can't submerge the digital, and the round one (mypage) has openings in the back of it which might let water in and ruin it.
    The third thermom is a little plastic case box which probably isn't water tight. Oh me oh my

8. ChicwannaB

May 22, 2011
    Munger, MICHIGAN
    I just discovered the incubator came with a tiny thermometer on a plastic sheet, to lay on the rack. DUH!! Im placing that inside now and will use whichever one comes closest to what the tiny one says, it's a bulb type with the glass tube, mercury sort of gizmo. [​IMG]
    I sure hope Im ready for this when the eggs arrive.

9. ChicwannaB

May 22, 2011
    Munger, MICHIGAN
    Last night I made several trips up to the "nursery" to check on temps...I've discovered it drops at night for whatever reason, closeing the door? Only one heat vent in the room? West side of the house and have had water pipes freeze in this room before hubby rerouted them to the INside of the walls. Going to leave a small space heater running lowly tongiht and see how it holds up...I sure hope Im ready when eggs arrive. Sure hope I don't lose the whole batch due to being an Incubation Dummie.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011
  10. ChicwannaB

May 22, 2011
    Munger, MICHIGAN
    Put eggs in incubator today about 11 a.m. Temp has been holding, everything looks good.
    Hoping Keyt gets hers today in the mail and joins this thread with me...here we gooooooooooooooooooo:jumpy:woot:plbb:clap:ya:weee:yiipchick

Last edited: Dec 14, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by