starving baby jersey giants?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by augiedranch, Jun 29, 2008.

1. augiedranch

augiedranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    my jersey giant chicks were born at the end of april. they have always acted like they were starving since i get them.. but this is awful. and the ten of them are eating more than the 22 other full grown hens!!!

i keep their feeders full ALL the time, they never run out, and its purina medicated chick starter crumbles. they also get every time i go out there, some bugs, bread, or slices of hot dog or ham.

are they really starving? ive raised chicks before, but none that have ever acted starved like these do!

also, when i pick them up i do feel a bone under them.. like that goes between the legs and up towards the head,, is that sopose to be there?

my adults have that bone too...

my adults are free range on 9 acres and also have free choice food. i never let it run out.. but i dont have to refill the feeder but maybe once ever two or three weeks.. (oh, and i worm with wazine, and panacur)

i would like to post pics to see if yall can tell me if they are skinny or what...

the jersey giants have to get new feed every single day!

random pics of different breeds and ages... let me know if they are underweight and what i need to do.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  2. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    [​IMG] (not laughing at you) Mine eat like that to. If you came to my house at any given time you would think they never get fed. I have to filll there feeder everyday. As far as I can tell from the pics they all look pretty good. Not to skinny not to fat. I don't think you have anything to worry about....[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 29, 2008
  3. augiedranch

augiedranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2008
    Texas
    [​IMG] oh, lol thank you

4. Pine Grove

Pine Grove Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Lakeland, Ga
    Your birds look good.. probably just spoiled, expecting treats every time they see you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by