Starving Buff

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by FrancesR, Apr 12, 2011.

1. FrancesR

FrancesR Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2010
    Hawi
    [​IMG] One of my buff orpingtons is not eating and is very listless. She's 1 1/2 yrs old, pale comb that's cool to touch, stands on the edges of the flock, but is not interested in anything. I've offered her sunflower seeds, pellets, cabbage....just not interested. I picked her up today and her breastbone is feeling prominent, the poor thing is so skinny. It's hard to see skinny on a buff....she's been kind of quiet for a couple of weeks, but only today did I really notice that she's not eating. Of course she hasn't been eating for a while, but only today did I notice how pale her comb is. (I feel so bad, but with 50 chickens, sometimes I don't really take a good look around.) Should I force feed her with a syringe, and if so, what should I give her? We've had dry pox going around here lately, but that's common here in Hawaii and the birds shake it off after a while. There's no discharge, just sad and listless. Any ideas?

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    I would be wondering if she has worms. There are not a lot of symptoms before the bird simply dies.

3. FrancesR

FrancesR Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2010
    Hawi
    What do you use to worm a chicken? What meds, what dose? With an eyedropper? Thanks very much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by