Greystone farm

Songster
Jul 7, 2020
My hen, Rhody, has a hard and distended abdomen. My vet checked her out shortly afterwards and prescribed her some meds. A few days later, I left to vacation at my cottage and left some reliable family taking care of Rhody. Unfortunately, she has stopped eating and drinking and has become very lethargic. She is incredibly thin and underweight—I think she’s starting to starve. Her eyes remain closed most of the time. They are syringe feeding her water, egg yolk, and Gatorade for electrolytes, but I am wondering if anyone has any suggestions for other ways we can help our little girl? I am going to contact the vet again, but thought I’d check on here in the meantime.
Please, no comments about putting Rhody down or giving up on her ❤️

Is this in her lower belly between her legs? Do you feel a mass or is the belly hard and tight? Is a vet possible? How does her crop feel? Is it emptying overnight by the next morning?

I’m so sorry everyone, but Rhody has passed. I’m not at my home with her at the moment and it breaks my heart by my grandmother held her in her arms during Rhody’s final moments and she died peacefully feeling loved. I don’t think there was anything we could have done at that point. My vet got back to me moments after with advice, but it was too late. 💔🌈

Sorry for your loss. Some people do a necropsy (autopsy) to look at organs and take pictures, then post them here for opinions. Since most chicken eventually die, it can be helpful to know what to look for. Of course, I understand if you would rather just bury her.

I’m so sorry everyone, but Rhody has passed. I’m not at my home with her at the moment and it breaks my heart by my grandmother held her in her arms during Rhody’s final moments and she died peacefully feeling loved. I don’t think there was anything we could have done at that point. My vet got back to me moments after with advice, but it was too late. 💔🌈
So sorry. Will you send her to your state lab for a necropsy?

Back
Top Bottom