Starving Speckled Sussex

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by dalelavonne51, Dec 3, 2019.

1. dalelavonne51

dalelavonne51 In the Brooder

Jun 30, 2019
    When we bought our pullet hens last July, we were first time chicken buyers. We had no idea that some sellers clip the beaks of their chicks and didn't discover this until after we purchased them. We bought 6 different breeds. The speckled sussex is the one that had her upper beak clipped so severe that it has been difficult for her to eat. She has never been able to pick things up from the ground. She has spent the majority of her day at the feeder. Last night when I went to close up their door, I discovered her on the floor at the entrance, asleep and all the others were on the perch. She has never stayed on the ground before. I went to pick her up to put her up on the perch and she wouldn't wake up. This concerned me so I brought her to the house and let her sleep in a box. This morning I checked on her and she woke up but still not her perky self. I put her back out in the yard and she just stayed put, no movement so I brought her back in for the day. I inspected her crop and in doing so I discovered that she has absolutely no meat on her bones! She has been starving to death and I had no idea because her plumage has always been so healthy and full. What can I do? I have been forcing water on her with a little success. I tried giving her oatmeal, scrambled eggs and yogurt but she won't eat. Is she a lost cause? Is there more I can do? She has also been very cold and that is another reason why I am keeping her in the laundry room for now. She has never laid any eggs and now I know why. She hasn't had enough protein and nourishment to do so. I feel so bad...I wish I would have figured this out a long time ago.

2. BullChick

BullChick Enslaved by a Duckling

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    You can post this in the emergency threads, but I will help you the best I can here.
    You need to tube feed her. If your eyes just bugged out, it’s okay. It’s actually really easy to do. First, you should use a new catheter tube. Blend chicken vitamins, feed and a lot of water in the blender. Load up a large syringe (no needle) and hook it up to the tube.
    Wrap the chicken in a towel. Slide it down her throat, and slowly push the plunger.
    BRB with illustrations.

3. GrayChickens

GrayChickens Chirping

Nov 22, 2019
    Go to the Emergency forum so more can see your problem and help! :)

4. BullChick

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
  5. sealer39

sealer39 Crowing

Aug 3, 2013
    Pineville, Louisiana
    Sorry to her that. First of all, I have never heard of clipping chicks beaks. I can’t think of any reason to do so. Maybe someone will read this and explain that.

From your description it sounds like she is at a point of no return. You could try to perk her up with some molasses and water or some electrolytes, then see if she will eat some mash (feed mixed with water). However, even if you keep her alive, she may never be a healthy bird at this point.

Peepsi, TwoCrows and BullChick like this.
  6. BullChick

Apr 17, 2012
    Coffee shop
    It’s common in egg factories and for breeders in some hatcheries to keep them from pecking each other in close quarters. :rant

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to posting at BYC, and good luck with your hen.

Sequel and TwoCrows like this.
  8. Brahma Chicken5000

Brahma Chicken5000 Araucana Addict

Sep 26, 2017
    Central New Jersey
    I worked at a farm 2 summers ago and my boss always bought debeaked chickens. The broker (for lack of a better term) who she got them from raised hundreds of pullets together and had them all debeaked.
    My boss liked the debeaked chickens better because then they couldn’t wound each other.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2019
    chickens really and Sequel like this.
  9. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Raven steals Christmas

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

I see you haven't started a thread yet in our Emergency section. I will go ahead and move this thread over there now. Good luck with her!

10. Kathy Golla

Kathy Golla Crowing

Jan 2, 2017
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Start with keeping her in a hospital cage inside with access to good food and water. That way you can see exactly how much she is eating, what the output is, how her crop function is, etc.
    Feed her special food three times a day, whatever she will eat. ANYTHING she will eat. Find out what her favorites are and just feed that to her separately to get her boosted for a couple of days. Hard boiled eggs, live or dried mealworms, tofu, blueberries, canned cat food, canned mackerel or tuna. If you can get some liquid vitamins into her thats good. Careful they can cause diarrhea.
    When she has her energy up, you can put her in a cage outside in the pen during the day with her own food and water, so she isnt completely separated.
    Once she has her strength up, you can reintegrate her, which will be MUCH easier if she is inside the pen in a cage during the day.
    Then you can keep feeding her separately a couple times a day to keep her strength up, esp during the winter, but you are still going to have to solve her issue long term.
    Who has debeaked hens who can weigh in on how to care for an issue like this. @Brahma Chicken5000 how did your farmer friend feed his hens?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: