1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

starving tired chick?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by AnKa, Mar 1, 2009.

1. AnKa

AnKa Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2009
    I took home 4 babies yesterday. 3 are doing great but my silver laced wyandotte is not eating at all. I tried giving her food on a white paper plate or on a white paper towel - nothing. Last night I got her to eat softened up feed with some water off my fingers, but since then she hasn't eaten. Her poops are runny - her first one was green but now they're white and watery. I tip her beak into the waterer a couple of times every 2 hours or so.
    Mostly she sits there w/ eyes closed. I am afraid she's not going to make it. Is there anything I should be doing? I can't believe I have screwed this up in less than 24 hours. Should worst come to worst, I worry that they won't sell me a replacement at the feedstore ... they don't want to sell individual chicks...

2. bwebb7

bwebb7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    Brooksville, Fl
    Maybe some sugar water and some electrolytes. Did they reccommend anything for starter? Maybe a beak full of yogurt too.
    Don't think you screwed anything up, some are just not as hardy as others.

3. bwebb7

Aug 16, 2008
    Brooksville, Fl
    Oh yeah, do you have a light on them?
    Welcome to backyard chickens too!

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  4. AnKa

AnKa Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2009
    I have a heat lamp over them and they seem comfy. It's not drafty since I put the brooder into a very large rubbermaid tub, and the whole room is at 70 degrees.

5. estpr13

estpr13 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2008
    Lexington, Ky
    Quote:How old is she? She may younger than the others and still doesn't need to eat. Her poops are normal for a newly hatched chick. The green poop is her very first poop. The white poop is urine. her poops should be runny because she doesn't have any fiber in her gut yet. She just may need to sleep for a day or two.

And by the way you haven't screwed anything up yet. Weldome to BYC.

6. AnKa

AnKa Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2009
    If she's super newly hatched, would she have real feather at her wing tips?
    Sorry, I am just really new at this. She has maybe 1/4in long real feathers at her wing tips. I so hope you're right and she's just new. This is all much more stressful than I would have thought!

7. Bullwinkle

Bullwinkle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2008
    Nebraska
    Quote:I was pretty stressed when I received mine too [​IMG]

I have 14 varieties... about 3 or 4 of the varieties had small 1/4 inch long or so feathers on their wing tips when they were less than 24 hours old. Some varieties have them at that age, some don't.

It sounds like you are doing the right things. Be sure that the temp under the heat bulb is around 95 degrees, and that they have the ability to get to a cooler spot if they get too hot.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  8. AnKa

AnKa Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2009
    Lil' Dottie passed away this pm. I am pretty sad but I really doubt it's something I did since the others are doing so well. Still, distressing. I will try to get a new one tomorrow, hope for better luck.

9. bwebb7

Aug 16, 2008
    Brooksville, Fl
    I'm so sorry. I know it is very hard to watch a baby just fade away.
    I hope the feed store does right.

10. wings

wings Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    Massachusetts
    Sorry to hear about your fuzzbutt! Good luck with your other ones!!!

Welcome to BYC!!

WHERE ARE THE PICTURES??? One thing you have to know about BYC is that we LOVE pix!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by