State Fair of WV

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Tuffoldhen, Aug 9, 2008.

1. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Hey all you West Virginians and surrounding states I just found out that the State Fair has opened back up their Poultry exhibit for this year in the Poultry Industries Building...so if your planning a trip down this weekend or next week check it out...With more people showing an interest maybe we can get bigger and better things happening for Poultry in the years to come at the fairgrounds!!

I'm planning my trip Monday!!!

2. Kanchii

Kanchii Chillin' With My Peeps

Awesome! Please take pics for everyone else!

3. Tuffoldhen

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I will take pics....

4. bluie

bluie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    AARRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!! The ONE year I don't go back to WV in the summer is the summer that they put back the poultry exhibit! I grew up about 2 miles from the state fair grounds and usually go back and visit my mother during the fair. In the past several years I have always been disappointed that they don't have a poultry exhibit, except for some eggs hatching in a bator. I will plan definitely for next year! Please post pictures! That's a long drive for you, isn't it? Aren't you in the panhandle? When I was a kid, all kids saved their money all year so they could go ride the rides and eat candy apples and such. Sigh!

5. Tuffoldhen

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    It's a two hour drive for me, we usually go every year and I am always disappointed in the Poultry being non-existent...So this year at the poultry industries building shall put a bug in those peoples ears about there are Poultry lovers out there!!...lol and mention BYC of course...

6. mom wewantchicks!

mom wewantchicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2008
    buckhannon,wv
    we are missing it this year to!! of course we are moving into our new house so i quess thats a good excuse! we did go to a local fair, and they had one loney chicken. let me tell you my chickens put that poor guy to shame!(if i do say so myself!!!) i'll be waiting on those pics!

7. bluie

bluie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2007
    No pics yet?

8. Tuffoldhen

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    My camera is broken, a new one on the way!! So I borrowed sis's digital...I took pics, got home and asked her to download them into her computer and send them to me...She says you mean I can download pics from my camera?.. [​IMG] I said yes!!..and I thought I was computer challenged!! [​IMG] So until sis can figure it out or her DS you will have to take my word it was a nice little exhibit..

Only had around 15 or so cages with nice young birds.. some cochins, dorkings, lakenvelder, wyandottes to name a few...There were 4 types of turkeys and 4 or 5 breeds of ducks...

They has a incubator going with a hatch in progress, kids and adults had a great watching that, had their noses stuck to the window glass watching...reminded me of a home hatching and not being able to look away huh?...a pond with a threadmill waterfall that the ducklings were having a ball with...

It was a nice cool day to visit the state fair..lots of new things this year to see...

We even saw a bear cub down in a meadow on our trip down but by the time I got the camera out of my purse he had run back down into the woodline..that was something to see...I've seen lots of adult black bear but not a cub....

I'll update with pics when I can......

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008
  9. slyfoxpeeps

slyfoxpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2007
    Lewisburg, WV
    Hey TOH, I went last Sat. and was disappointed with the pourlty. I was really wanting to see some show birds. What they had was nice, just not enough. I don't know if they will ever do more than that here, we have lots of turkey farms in this area....

10. Tuffoldhen

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Sly, it wasn't a poultry show ... just a small exhibit in the poultry industries building...I don't think any of those birds were from 4-h kids....

I wanted to see more birds too but unless WV poulry people like you and I speak up or they get 4-h kids into poultry in West Virginia thats not going to happen...they do really well, with the sheep, goats, cattle, rabbits and hogs...I don't know why they can't do a section to Poultry...must not be enough interest?

Last edited: Aug 14, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by