State Fair Poultry Judging skin thickness question

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by KansasKid, Sep 15, 2010.

1. KansasKid

KansasKid Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    I'm assuming this would be the right section to post in. (I tend to reside in the duck section)

Even know im going to the state fair to judge chickens, i haven't ever actually judged any before.

What i keep reading is that the pubic bone should be thin? and should the skin below the pubic bone be lean/trim, or thick and fatty?

Edited for grammar.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2010
  2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Quote:Did I read that right? You're going to judge chickens at the fair, but you've never judged any before?

3. chickenboy21

chickenboy21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    will you be judging all birds just laying hens, i know specifically in laying hens the pubic bone should be sharp and thin and the skin should be lean and trim, im not 100% sure about exhibition birds though i wouldnt think it would be much different

4. KansasKid

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    I know it sounds weird, and truthfully i don't know it it happened either. We are a very small county and our extension agent approached a few of us poultry people and asked if we would like to judge poultry and I'm not sure why anymore but said yes. So its crunch week and I'm studying non-stop for saturday.

5. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

So are you judging on like a 4-H judging team?....or judging the poultry overall?

6. KansasKid

Feb 7, 2010
    South East Kansas
    Sorry should have included that, yes it is for 4-h

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by