State Farmers Market-Alabama

NoelTate

Songster
11 Years
Apr 8, 2008
Mobile, AL
Has anyone been to the State Farmers Market in Montgomery, Alabama? I am thinking about going up there this weekend and wonder if there are vendors there with poultry? Are markets like that generally a good place to buy chicks? I know with dogs, anyone who sells at flea markets and such are usually puppy mills and are considered disreputable. What is the thinking with chickens? I'd love to add a few cochin bantam or cuckoo maran pullets to my flock here if I got lucky and came across some up there!

I'd really love to get one or two maran pullets and a few bantam cochin pullets in assorted colors. Not a show guy here, just a few hens in a backyard coop. I'd actually be very happy buying some birds that a show breeder has culled because they didn't measure up instead of them having to be axed. Of course, if something else interesting came along, I could always be tempted-which is how I ended up with a guinea and a turkey in the coop! lol

Hi,
Close to Mobile, you have a silkie breeder in Atmore, I don't remeber her name, but she is the vice president of the silkie club. Then, I have marans and cochins chicks also a golden laced wyandotte that I got from mergemet in Virginia, then a little short of Birmingham, there is a very good breeder of mostly all bantam breeds, Polish and silkies. Let me know if I can be of any more help.

Hmm...and you are in Auburn, which will be on the way home next time I visit Atlanta...maybe I need to plan a trip!
What color cochins do you have? They are bantams? The feed mill here is getting mixed cochin bantams in next month, but I really would just as soon pay more and get sexed pullets rather than end up with half roosters. I bought 7 barred a couple of weeks ago, and I swear about 5 of the little boogers are already developing big combs!
I need to do some research about the marans. I have seen the cuckoo type listed on many pages, but then I came across the blue splash marans. They are gorgeous! I guess they are a much more rare color?
And apparently I have to find some black australorps now. My dad wants black australorp hens, but my feed store here cannot get anymore in this year.

What mergemet (Margaret) told me was that they were all pullets. Bantam cochin is red, I don't have very many, just had gotten some for myself and now have changed my mind. For the rare color marans check out Ray valentine's website, he's selling some good rare color marans, but I also found a person in Fl who has a wide variety of colors. Do you know of the website, "mypetchicken.com" they will ship you 3 chicks, sexed and vaccinated, if you live in a big city, they are a little expensive, but atleast you'd be getting pullets and vaccinated too.
Poultry press, the news paper has a variety of breeders listed in atlanta too. Check that out as well. I also prefer driving up to some breeder instead of getting something fro a feed store.
Amber

I think I am driving up for the farmer's market and to go to the Southern Living store next week (Saturday). My brother wants me to wait until he can ride up with me. And that way I can make him drive home while I nap! lol How many of the cochins do you have, and how much are you asking for them? Are you sure you want to sell them? I don't want you to regret it!
smile.png
My email is [email protected], so maybe we can make arrangements for me to get to Auburn since I will be so close.
Thanks!
Noel

Last edited:
when is the farmers market, i live at lake martin. i dont even know when the farmers market is.

Back
Top Bottom