State Legislators Want Chickens Vaccinated Against Salmonella

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Muggsmagee, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    All because of the salmonella outbreak/scare due to commercial farming....NY State legislators want chickens vaccinated against salmonella.

Is government involvement really necessary? What are your views on this? I am curious how this could affect the small farmer? What are the side effects to the chicken, and to us as consumers?

If there were better regulations over commercial farming practices, we might not be in this mess!

http://www.wktv.com/news/local/NY-legislators-want-chickens-vaccinated-101764683.html

What do you think?

Last edited: Aug 30, 2010

2. mmaddie's mom

mmaddie's mom Songster

OH... don't get me started! (November is coming!)

3. StupidBird

StupidBird Songster

Apr 8, 2009
    GA
    mmaddie's mom :

OH... don't get me started! (November is coming!)

ditto.​

4. buildingmyark

buildingmyark Songster

May 2, 2010
    Louisiana
  5. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    This is new to me. I'm not familiar with other legislation that didn't pass. I suppose I will take that as good news! [​IMG]

I just find it a bit dramatic to take on the vaccination of chickens, when salmonella is something that can be "cooked" off when it is meant to be eaten...correct?

I would like to know what the vaccination "side effects" are...to the chicken, meat, egg, etc. The big "IF" it passes, what the heck does that mean for us hobby/small farms?

6. joemwm

joemwm In the Brooder

Aug 15, 2010
    acording to news reports it was the use of live virse vaccines too vaccinate the chickens that caused the out break in the first place the new vaccinated birds infected the older non vaccinated birds the problem was instead of vaccinating the whole flock they planned to switch too vaccinated birds through normal replacement

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by