State vet coming!!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by ChickadeeMom, May 16, 2011.

1. ChickadeeMom

ChickadeeMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    West Virginia
    So i recently got 2 chickens and long story short i was dumb and introduced them straight in with my existing mini flock of 3....now the 2 are presenting signs of illness.

I freaked and emailed our state vet...he is on his way and due here at 10
    EDIT- no he is not going to kill my chickens to test...just taking blood...... i hope [​IMG]

Im so nervous i'll lose ALL my chickens!

fingers crossed that everything will be ok.

learned my lesson...NEVER introducing chickens straight into my coop again...probably never buying laying hens again anyway just day olds!

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  2. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    [​IMG] I pray everything goes well for you. I am so sorry this happened to you and your chickens. Good luck.

3. ChickadeeMom

Jan 30, 2011
    West Virginia
    thanks.... im pretty nervous but take full responsibility i should have quarentined (sp?)

irritated bc i think the birds were cleaned up b4 i got there....i believe i was sold sick birds on purpose.... but oh well, not everyone can be trusted i guess.

4. hennyannie

hennyannie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    North Carolina
    Wow, glad to hear your state takes these things seriously. I hope all turns out well for you, praying for you! (Oh, and tell that vet where you got them, maybe they'll get a visit)

5. terrilhb

terrilhb Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 11, 2010
    Georgia
    It is a hard lesson to learn. But do not beat yourself up. You did not mean to. Next time you will know. We all learn the hard way. I know I have. [​IMG] If I listened to half of what I have been told I would have saved myself alot of heartache. Sending you lot's of hugs. [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. 1livelychick

1livelychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    So sorry this has happened. I agree with you ....from now on I'll only purchase day olds from a reputable hatchery. Good luck and let us know what the state thinks!

7. ChickadeeMom

Jan 30, 2011
    West Virginia
    not sure how long it will take to get the results but i'll surely keep you posted..

only problem with telling the vet where theyre from, theyre out of state craigslist birds..... pretty sure i may get in trouble for that. but if he asks i will surely tell him, i'll deal with the consequences if it means that they pay a visit to the people and keep others from infecting their flock.

i am pretty upset at myself but i got an egg the other day from one of my sick ones that hasnt layed for 2 weeks since she presented signs....mayb that means shes getting better. [​IMG]

i'll keep you guys posted!!

Thanks again everyone, this is why im addicted to this site.....everyone is so kind and helpful

8. 1livelychick

Feb 22, 2010
    Hopefully the worst case scenario will be a viral infection that has to run it's course with no loss of life. I think they become carriers and you'll have to have a closed flock. It's a shame that the people who sold you the birds were not honest. Take care!

9. ChickadeeMom

Jan 30, 2011
    West Virginia
    well my friends.... good news and bad news

Good news is- its not avian flu!! pshewwww thank god!

Bad news- even the vet is puzzled!! he doesnt seem to be certain of what it is, he took samples of stool blood and saliva so by god i'll find out 4 sure what it is!!

i have been told that if its micro something or other (cant remember lol) that they can be treated but will be carriers and depop is recommended but not forced- in wv its the biggest disease. he said most flocks (even npip) have carriers...its nothing too serious he said most birds have it....

soooo.. fingers crossed thats what it is but if not- depop and no chickies for 3-6 MONTHS [​IMG]

BUT i already have a coop built at my boyfriends so worse comes to worse i can move my chicks (no contact what so ever to the adults) to his house [​IMG] and wait my 6 months and get more!!

i love my chickens but i also would never sell anything that would make other birds sick if i sold them- so closed flock is most likely the option i will go with and ill build a new BIGGER coop lol.

i'll know for sure in about week....anything dealing with sick birds they rush, thank goodness for that

thanks for the support guys!!

10. 1livelychick

Feb 22, 2010
    Sooo glad it's not AI! Sounds like you're in the right hands now. You're a great and responsible chicken owner! Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by