Status, Muscovy Duck Law in Texas?

babalubird

Songster
11 Years
Jul 21, 2008
OK, I looked at the last links here, but I don't do legalize well. Am I going to be able to buy and raise muscovy ducks on our farm for the food market or not? We do not have any yet, nor any time soon, as the coyotes would have duck dinner before we move out there. Muscovy ducks were high on our list for animals to raise for lots of reasons. So obviously we can't be "grandfathered in."

Please help lift the fog.

Thanks.

Connie

PS I tried to leave comment on the gov regulations page and couldn't get it to work.

What I have been told is that if, you only have them for meat or eggs and they are pinned and not on a pond...You will be ok...
If you sale any they will have to be band and so will yours...leg bands or wing bands....

OK! I'm still confused. From what SWheat posted, then, do I understand then, that since I don't yet own any muscovies, I am totally out of luck and the dream to be able to purchase, raise, butcher and sell them is now out of the question for me? That only those who can be grandfathered in can continue to do so?

What a stinking bummer!

Connie

Quote:
You are not out of luck. They are still taking comments through the end of the year. This is a Federal Law, not state. There are 4 ways to identify your birds. You are now and later allowed to keep Domestic Muscovies for Meat and Eggs. Other uses are at question, though. Go back and read the regulations for yourself.

About the only thing that is really changing is that you must identify your birds as being Domestic Muscovies and not wild or ferral Muscovies. People are still going to be selling them. Especially in Texas, as we protect them.

I tried to send comments per an earlier link, I believe regulations.gov, and couldn't get it to send. Do you have another link?

I know this is an olddddddddddd thread, But has anyone found out what the New Restrictions are on having Muscovy Ducks, in Texas.

I have written the F&WS down in San Antonio, but still waiting on any response. From the little I could find all dated prior to 2013.

I'm not real KEEN on having the govt., telling me what I can and cant eat, or how to raise it.

Anyway if anyone get some info, please post. And if I ever do get a response from the F&WS I'll send it along this way.

Bee Good KWSRetMSgt

Back
Top Bottom