Stay at home Mom new to chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MimiB, Apr 12, 2012.

1. MimiB

MimiB Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2012
    I am a stay at home mom to 3 wonderful kids. We recently purchased 5 acres in the country and will be purchasing at least another 5 in a year to put a house down on. We have always known that we would want chickens and since there are a lot of ticks on the land we will let them eat up the ticks once we build our house and are there permanently. We bought 5 assorted pullets and 6 assorted bantams from Tractor Supply. I am not sure of the exact breeds. The pullets we got are 3 white ones and two reddish blonde ones. The bantams are 3 dark reddish brown booted ones, 2 pure white booted ones and 1 mostly white with black in the tail and yellowish orange feet (not booted). We have them in a coop outside now since they have all of their feathers in. I can not believe how quick they grow! The only problem we had was in the very beginning with pasting. Thank God for the internet and a warm bath and some q-tips and the problem was solved :) I love our chickens already! The kids love helping their Daddy take care of them and clean out their cage and run. We have about a 6 foot open run (fenced on sides open on top) in a fenced in yard. This is only our temporary coop as when we move we will build a much larger one that has a covered run... I am sure I will come here to find ideas on building our own. It will have to be pretty big since we already have 11 hens and I have always heard your flock usually increases over the years LOL!
    I will have to take some pictures of them tomorrow in the daylight. Right now they are all sound asleep in their coop :)

2. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    [​IMG] [​IMG] from California

Glad you already know about chicken math. LOL

3. dreamer5577

dreamer5577 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Hi && Welcome!
    [​IMG]

4. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

[​IMG]

5. greymane

greymane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

6. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. Congrats and have fun. :thumbsup

7. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

8. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

You might want to pick up some guinea keets, they are ferocious tick eaters and a little more independant than chickens

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

10. 3LilBirds

3LilBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi there and Welcome to BYC from Southern California! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by