1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Stay at home Mom new to chickens

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by MimiB, Apr 12, 2012.

1. MimiB

MimiB In the Brooder

Apr 12, 2012
    I am a stay at home mom to 3 wonderful kids. We recently purchased 5 acres in the country and will be purchasing at least another 5 in a year to put a house down on. We have always known that we would want chickens and since there are a lot of ticks on the land we will let them eat up the ticks once we build our house and are there permanently. We bought 5 assorted pullets and 6 assorted bantams from Tractor Supply. I am not sure of the exact breeds. The pullets we got are 3 white ones and two reddish blonde ones. The bantams are 3 dark reddish brown booted ones, 2 pure white booted ones and 1 mostly white with black in the tail and yellowish orange feet (not booted). We have them in a coop outside now since they have all of their feathers in. I can not believe how quick they grow! The only problem we had was in the very beginning with pasting. Thank God for the internet and a warm bath and some q-tips and the problem was solved :) I love our chickens already! The kids love helping their Daddy take care of them and clean out their cage and run. We have about a 6 foot open run (fenced on sides open on top) in a fenced in yard. This is only our temporary coop as when we move we will build a much larger one that has a covered run... I am sure I will come here to find ideas on building our own. It will have to be pretty big since we already have 11 hens and I have always heard your flock usually increases over the years LOL!
    I will have to take some pictures of them tomorrow in the daylight. Right now they are all sound asleep in their coop :)

2. wolftracks

wolftracks Spam Hunter

Nov 6, 2009
    Modesto
    [​IMG] [​IMG] from California

Glad you already know about chicken math. LOL

3. dreamer5577

dreamer5577 Songster

May 16, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Hi && Welcome!
    [​IMG]

4. The Red Rooster

The Red Rooster Poultry Observer

[​IMG]

5. greymane

greymane Songster

Jun 2, 2011
    Snyder County, PA
    [​IMG]

6. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Crowing

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Hi and :welcome from Ohio. So glad you joined. Congrats and have fun. :thumbsup

7. Kevin565

Kevin565 Crowing Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    [​IMG]

8. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Crowing

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

You might want to pick up some guinea keets, they are ferocious tick eaters and a little more independant than chickens

9. weimarmama

weimarmama Crowing

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

10. Hi there and Welcome to BYC from Southern California! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by