Stay home

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by joebryant, Feb 20, 2009.

1. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

I went to the funeral of a boyhood friend yesterday. More than half the guys there were wearing jeans, no jacket, no tie, no suit, unshaven, wearing caps, etc.
    I told Anne today that if I ever do die (highly unlikely), to put in the paper that men are to wear a jacket or suit or STAY HOME.
    Same goes for a wedding.

2. Ec_Prokta

Ec_Prokta Continuum Shift Anomaly

Jan 14, 2009
    Sheesh. HELLO, you don't wear outfits like that to a FUNERAL!!!!!!!! [​IMG] *phew* That just ticks me off. I'm sorry you had to see that.

3. Chickerdoodle13

Chickerdoodle13 The truth is out there...

Mar 5, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    We ran into a similar issue at my uncles funeral. Some people showed up wearing jeans, some in khaki. I was amazed. My family had taken so much time to get dressed up and look presentable...just seemed like everyone else should have done the same.

My belief is that the wake and funeral is mostly for the family's sake...for a piece of mind almost. I'm amazed at the lack of respect people show sometimes....not only for the dead, but most especially the living!

4. AhBee01

AhBee01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    yo. ohio
    I'm a come as you are kinda girl!
    I like to dress up and all, but don't really get to do that much!
    I have seen all kind of things at funerals. One of my school friends was in her favorite Nascar shirt. Most everyone there was in jeans and were wearing their favorite racing attire!
    I have also seen a Harley funeral, and all his biker friends came on their bikes dressed in full biker gear! I thought it was kinda neat!
    Brenda

5. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

Quote:I feel the same way. It just really ticks me off too. It's inexcusable! Any guy can wash, comb his hair, and buy a jacket/pants/shirt at Goodwill if nowhere else. I can understand someone's not wanting to wear a tie, but a tee shirt to a funeral or wedding?

6. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    No respect. ...................................... NONE

7. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    What if the person requests everyone wear jeans ?

8. 2468Chickensrgr8

2468Chickensrgr8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2007
    Ontario
    If anyone spends any money for themselves or ME for MY funeral....flowers etc.... I will come back and haunt them....

9. texaschickmama

texaschickmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2007
    Poolville, TX
    Everyone's wishes should be respected in the end. I don't want everyone to sit around and cry for me. But, realistically, they will. I would much rather them have a party of sorts with the entire family and remember the good times, the funny times. My dad is going to play "I feel good" at his funeral. My dad is a hilarious man.

10. Jena

Jena The Welsh Witch

Nov 2, 2008
    Cardiff
    I agree on the respect issue,and I also understand that it depends on the person really on their lifestyle choices, but personally I would not feel right going to a funeral without being dressed "properly", but then I am old school.

I know at my father's funeral and also a few years later at my aunt's funeral , my estranged brother turned up wearing jeans and a vest, and it was awful. the close family were very upset as it is seen as a mark of respect, especially for my parents generation.

My father's brother, who died recently was ex-army and as he had seen this at both funeral's he actually insisted that my brother was not present at his passing. He had even phoned him some months before and told him to stay away if he died. Nobody was aware of his condition, but this shows how much it can affect someone, if this plays on their mind so much.

It is important to respect the person, and we have the right to ask for them to meet our wishes at a time like that, whatever those wishes are, it is not always a question of cost or spending money, I know most older people will have a special set of clothes they reserve for such occassions.

To me it is sad to feel that this will probably change in the future, but then again it is an individual thing.

It depends whose standards we use as a measure I guess.

Jena.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by