Stay...stay...SIT...STAY DOG! STAY!

Chickenuser

In the Brooder
12 Years
Apr 13, 2007
Yea... ummm... my dog won't stay put when I have my chickens around. My brother sort of has to "tackle" her and chain her up. My dog is really really big. Alasken Malmute big.
How do I introduce my chickens to this big dog without having to sacrifice a chicken?
D.gif

Hmmmmmmm.....some dogs just dont mix well with chickens. I have 3 poms....ONE can go to the coop with me....the other 2...NO WAY! Oh, and my Doberman...she LOVES chickens....for dinner!

I would say with constant, repetitive postive reinforcement you might eventually get your dog to leave your chickens alone, but with some dogs, it's just not going to happen. My husky/lab/mutt mix is about a 1 1/2 year old, and sees my chicks as playthings. He's not allowed around them. My 4 year old border collie mix is much calmer, and shows no interest in the birds at all. IMO, there really isn't a hard and fast rule on what dog breed works well with chickens or what training techiniques work best, it's all up to the individual dog.

i have a min pin who recently ate a chick heres what i did put her harness on held her tightly and let chicken peck her btw it didnt work she even tried to get my sons rabbit !!! but i have a corgi mix who watches over the chicks like they are her babys she literally cornered 3 of them for me to catch them tonight!! what a great dog
smile.png
i would advise you to keep him tied up when the chicks are out!!! GOODLUCK

My dog is an Alasken Malmute (sp?) So she is really big.
How could I train her to be around them?
Or will I just have to live with it?

There are some can be trained, it depends on the personality. I have one dog a small chocolate lab named ginger that is known as the chicken mama. She watches over them and i have no fear of her hurting them. She is so amazed and watches over them when we visit them in the basement. She is normally shy and timid, but a true sweetheart. I have another lab, who is not allowed to see the chicks because when she first did, she lunged at them. She is a nice dog but not with birds, squirells, rabbitts. my friend has an alaskan malamute and those dogs are not big, they are humongous!!! She and another alask malamute of her moms pulled her vw beetle out of the mud last year, now thats a strong dog.

I have an Aussie Cattle Dog who is also a Service Dog for my disablitiy. We are talking dog who will drop to a down at just a look. She still does around my chicks but her eyes are bouncing around in her head
ep.gif

She is incredibily trained but I'm not sure if I'm ever going to be able to leave them out with her in the yard by herself. Aussies have a very high prey drive. They are actually a rather new breed, just about as close to the wild side as you can get.

It took a lot to train her not to try and eat the cats

Back
Top Bottom