Staying Close To Coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by 6RandomBrownLayers, Nov 25, 2011.

1. 6RandomBrownLayers

6RandomBrownLayers Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 23, 2011
    Hi. My chickens have been staying within 10-15 feet of the coop, usually 5-7. Is this normal? They have been free ranging maybe 15-20 times and are 10 wks old. Is this normal and they just need to slowly explore? I just figured they would go farther. Thanks in advance!

2. <3ChickenForever

<3ChickenForever Fire Is Catching

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    It's normal! Especially if they are only 10 weeks! When they get older, they'll start to explore more of your yard! [​IMG]

3. 6RandomBrownLayers

Nov 23, 2011
    Ok. Thanks. [​IMG] I kinda figured that but just wanted to make sure. [​IMG] They did better today.

4. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    It's funny, I have some chickens that are curious by nature and want to explore everywhere while others have stayed close to the coop all their lives. That being said, I agree with the other commenter, your chickens are young and will likely venture out more as they get older and more confident. :0)

5. Katydid2011

Katydid2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2011
    West Coast USA
    And welcome to BYC!! [​IMG]

6. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

They call scaredy-cat humans "chicken" for a reason...lol. Chickens are always afraid of change. And the HUGE world of your yard is a whole lotta' change. My newbie chicks are 13-14 weeks, and have been free ranging on our property since they were about 8 weeks. I'd say it took them almost a month before they'd venture out across our entire property, and that's mostly in the late afternoon for some reason...about an hour before roost time. [​IMG] They still stick pretty close to the coop/run area most of the day.

7. 6RandomBrownLayers

Nov 23, 2011
    Thanks for all the positive words![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by