Staying in box

Aug 31, 2019
Hughes Wildlife Farm, MA
So I have a beautiful 7month old Painted Silkie "Dot" she is laying daily for about 2wks now.
She is the only hen, to 2 roos, but my dominate roo, is the only one mounting her, my other roo, hasn't fingured out how to get on her yet, thou he tries often.
For 3 days now, she hasn't layed, but is in her nesting box all day and all night, no eggs for these 3 days.
I thought at 1st, she is hiding from the boys, but now I'm thinking maybe somthing else. I havnt seen her oit for food or water, but I'm also not watching 24/7. So i placed a little dish in front of her, with Tums, feed and dirt, too see if she touches it..... Any other advise or thoughts? Thank u

So I have a beautiful 7month old Painted Silkie "Dot" she is laying daily for about 2wks now.
She is the only hen, to 2 roos, but my dominate roo, is the only one mounting her, my other roo, hasn't fingured out how to get on her yet, thou he tries often.
For 3 days now, she hasn't layed, but is in her nesting box all day and all night, no eggs for these 3 days.
I thought at 1st, she is hiding from the boys, but now I'm thinking maybe somthing else. I havnt seen her oit for food or water, but I'm also not watching 24/7. So i placed a little dish in front of her, with Tums, feed and dirt, too see if she touches it..... Any other advise or thoughts? Thank u
If she is a Silkie mix, she may have gone broody.
Is she growling when you approach? If you remove her from the box and place her some distance away, does she make her way right back (sometimes after getting something to eat)?
I would strongly recommend removing the submissive rooster (cockerel?) from the flock and getting more pullets/hens.

Sounds broody to me!
Here's my go-to signs:
Is she on nest most the day and all night?
When you pull her out of nest and put her on the ground, does she flatten right back out into a fluffy screeching pancake?
Does she walk around making a low cluckcluckcluckcluckcluck(ticking bomb) sound on her way back to the nest?
Are there feathers in the nest, and missing from her breast/belly?
If so, then she is probably broody and you'll have to decide how to manage it.

I do have some smaller EEs that love being in the silkies coop, I could let those go in to keep the roos happy.. My 3 EEs were raised with my silkies until they got big enough to go into the main coop with the bigger girls.. My EEs are always finding ways to run around me and slid into the silkies coop 😆 and my silkie roos love mounting the EEs lol

Back
Top Bottom