staying in the coop

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by junkman56, Nov 1, 2016.

1. junkman56

junkman56 Chillin' With My Peeps

I moved my chicks to the coop from the brooder about two weeks ago. they are now 7 weeks old, I open the pop door every morning for them to go out in the run. but it seems every time I go out to check on them, they are in the coop. I keep their feed and water in the coop all the time. should I close the pop door when I put them out in the run? or should I just let things be as they are?

thanks in advance

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I just let things be. Why stress them out? If you have older chickens outside they may be avoiding them by staying inside. Or they may just be slow to go outside. Sometimes when I first open the pop door on my grow-out coop they are all on the ground in fifteen minutes. Sometimes it takes days for the first one to venture out. They’ll go out when they are ready. Until then they are obviously happy in the coop.

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I agree, let them be, they will go out when they feel more comfortable, and it's best they stay away from the older ones for now.

4. junkman56

all my chicks are the same age, I don't have any older chickens. these chicks will come out in the run briefly, scratch a bit ,dust bath a bit, and then go right back to the coop, they spend more time in the coop than out in the run. I have the run covered with a tarp so rain and snow will not get in this winter, and the sides are covered also.

5. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Sorry I misunderstood. It is normal for them to hang out inside initially, especially if they aren't familiar with being outside. Most younger birds are used to smaller spaces. As they become more familiar with their new home they will start to venture out. I personally shag mine out at least once a day, even if they run right back in. So I wouldn't lock them out, but you can certainly encourage them to go out a few times a day and maybe feed treats only outside.

6. junkman56

thank you, I have been feeding them treats out in the run only. if I go inside the run they will all come out running, as soon as I leave they head right back to the coop.
    I will give them time.

7. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    They probably feel safer inside for now. It's good they come out to see, it means they think you are mom. They are just insecure kids, they will get there.

8. junkman56

thank you

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by