Staying in their house

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by lilchickenz, Nov 25, 2013.

1. lilchickenz

lilchickenz Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2013
    Are my chickens just going to stay in their house all winter sitting on the perch? I thought they were too cold so I did put plastic sheeting on 3.5 sides of the run and most of the top has tarp, so that has cut down the wind considerably. I put fresh hay in for them so they aren't walking on snow with their princess feet. I put scratch and treats for them so they have something to scratch around and search for. But they still just want to sit on the perch in the house. They don't seem sick. When I go out there they come out and seem like their perky friendly selves. Seems like they get startled by the plastic whipping in the wind and/or they don't like the breeze that still gets in. This is their first winter. They're only 3 months old.

Side note: anyone know where I can get plastic sheeting that is actually clear instead of cloudy? I can't look out the window and see them anymore because of that cloudy plastic. I once bought a whole roll of perfectly clear stuff at Home Depot but they never have it when I go there now. I don't remember the brand or I'd look for it online or elsewhere.

2. PAChickenMom

PAChickenMom Out Of The Brooder

Aug 23, 2013
    NW Pennsylvania
    Most of mine are doing the same thing. My leghorns are tough girls and they're out but certainly not as much as usual. And mine have "princess feet" too. When it started snowing the other day they were all out and some of them got stuck on the porch and I had to carry them back up because they wouldn't walk on the snow. I worry about them eating and drinking so I put some plywood down in a corner inside the coop with some food and water for the girls who just refuse to leave the coop even to go into the run to eat or drink(and the run is covered by a tarp now). At night I just take it out so they don't poop on it or knock it over trying to jump on their roosts. They seem to be drinking and eating just fine now that it's in there.

3. lilchickenz

lilchickenz Out Of The Brooder

Jul 21, 2013
    Mine do have food inside the house, but they will have to come out for water because the cord can't reach the house to plug it in and keep it from freezing. I guess when they get thirsty enough, they'll be out.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by