Staying inside the coop

Isilvertoes

Chirping
Jan 14, 2019
Santa Rosa, California
I have an Ayam Cemani that is 8months old and lately she’s just been staying in her nesting box. Her nesting box is inside a dog crate and she doesnt usually stay their overnight, she has a coop to go to. But the pasts couple of days, she hasnt moved at all, I even had to lock her inside the crate afraid that she would get attacked at night. I would open the crate the next morning and you’d think she’d come out but she just stays inside. I left her food and water inside. Doesnt seem anything wrong with her but lately shes less active. Anybody have had similar situation???

She didnt just run straight back to the box? Maybe not broody then. They fluff themselves up when they go broody, but you cant keep them from the nest. Have you listened to her breathing? Its possible she could be not feeling well. Has she laid recently? Not possibly egg bound is she?

Probabl . They dont eat or drink much when they get that way. First time my hens disappeared I thought predators got them. Couple weeks later they come marching out from under my house, 3 hens with babies in a line, each within hours of the other:lau it was a sight to see for sure... chickens you thought were dead marching out with little peepers

Probabl . They dont eat or drink much when they get that way. First time my hens disappeared I thought predators got them. Couple weeks later they come marching out from under my house, 3 hens with babies in a line, each within hours of the other:lau it was a sight to see for sure... chickens you thought were dead marching out with little peepers

Interesting story lol. Thanks for the help! Much appreciated.

How is she behaving when you handle her or other chickens are around?
What does she do if you remove her from the nest box and place her outside?

6ACA518C-9154-4316-A62F-943AE9006AE2.jpeg
Sounds like she could be having a broody spell. Id double check the coop for signs of predators too.

Back
Top Bottom