Staying out of the coop after dark?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Country Gal, Jun 2, 2008.

1. Country Gal

Country Gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Capac, MI
    I've had my chickens since April 2007, they've been in the coop since June 2007.

For the past year, it has been like clockwork that dusk arrives, and the chickens go INSIDE the coop for bedtime.

The past two nights, there have been a couple hens roosting on the run after dark. And they've been different hens each night.

What gives? How do I get them back in the habit of going in the coop?

Thanks!
    Kelly

2. tnkinhunting

tnkinhunting Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2008
    East Tennessee
    How about a nite time treat? In the coop of course. You might have to fasten them in there for a couple of nites since they might eat the treat and still roost outside.

3. cheeptrick

cheeptrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    I'd be checking for predators in and around the coop...

Mine do that when something is spooking them!! Found a snake skin in the coop the other day...NO snake though. Hopefully THEY ate that snake!

Good Luck... [​IMG]

4. Country Gal

Country Gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Capac, MI
    A predator may be the issue... I've had 4 of my ducks come up missing, and I found the remains of one of them last night. [​IMG] I'll have to build something up today to start keeping the ducks in at night...

Thanks for the responses!!!

5. cheeptrick

cheeptrick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2007
    New Hampshire
    So sorry for you loss...

I have a pool set up in my backyard and the running loud pump keeps the predators/bears/coyotes/racoons at bay...plus I have auto lights that kick on when something trips it. We've been hearing the coyote late at night...howling!!

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by