Stealin' my customer!!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by pusskatkins, Nov 8, 2011.

1. pusskatkins

pusskatkins Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2010
    Virginia
    Ugh, I am sooooooooooooooooooo angry! [​IMG] My husband and I sell rainbow eggs to a local grocer for $ 2.00 a dozen and sell about 12 dozen a week. It barely pays for the feed, so we don't make a profit. Well, since the hens have been molting, the production has been slow. I told the owner this so she would expect a lull in supply. So, we took advantage of the molt and dewormed the hens, and since there's the withdrawal time we waited the two weeks, and began gathering eggs again.
    Well, my husband passed the store last week and the grocer had a "Local Eggs" sign displayed in the window, so my husband became alarmed. He called her and told her he had eggs . The grocer stated she was using another local supplier while we were in a lull, but would be happy to use our eggs again. This other supplier also supplied rainbow eggs. [​IMG]. My husband dropped off nine dozen. We waited for the grocer to call us for more, but the call never came. [​IMG].
    So, this morning my husband dropped off eight dozen more. The grocer said that since she hadn't heard from us the other local farmer supplied her with eggs. [​IMG] . What? The grocer always called us when supply was low. I think this person is just dropping off a steady supply of eggs, and stealing my customer and I don't know what to do. I'm currently unemployed and this customer was a lifesaver. She allowed me to keep and feed my feathered friends.
    I don't want to be territorial, but darn it...it isn't fair!

2. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

[​IMG] I'm sorry.

3. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I would take the initiative and make a steady schedule with the grocer.

4. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Aww, that's really a bummer. Why not just call the grocery store lady, and just tell her that it's really important that you have her business, and maybe ask if there's a special reason why, after all this time, that she's going with another supplier.

Better yet, show up in person and just be very calm and nice about it........Layed back so she won't feel attacked, and maybe you guys will be in business again.

Sharon

5. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Look at it from there point of view. They have a demand they need to supply an when you dropped the ability to fill there demand you forced them to drop you for a supplier that can. No one stole anything.

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

If you enter the sales world, you are forced to have a steady supply. The business is merely retailing and will get their supply from someone else. It's just business. The store, unlike you, isn't in it just to break even. They must supply their retail customers and they must make money.

We have a small egg business, although we'd never wholesale to a retail outlet, thus it is vital that have POL pullets come on line every August to cover the down time of last year's pullets. It isn't an option. If it is business, then it's business. BTW, we determined to make a minimum of $1 per dozen profit, or we'd not mess with the business and I'd pare the flock down to a household, or hobby appropriate size. Selling at cost is losing money because of the labor and trips, etc.

I'm sorry that someone else now has the store's supply account now, but this is the reality in the retail end of things. Perhaps the store will give you another shot at it in the future, but meanwhile, you'll need a different outlet. The old say, "don't put all your eggs in one basket". Consider retailing direct for a small profit instead. I'd encourage you in that direction.

7. greenkjb

greenkjb Out Of The Brooder

Aug 13, 2010
    Where do you live? Rainbow eggs sell for $8 a dozen where I live in California. Maybe can you sell your eggs directly to people for $3.00 a dozen?

8. Sharisr32

Sharisr32 Egg Killer ;)

Jan 14, 2007
    OH/PA Boarder
    Hope it works out for you --

9. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    I believe you are from Virginia and to me, the biggest problem here is that you are selling eggs for only $2.00 per dozen. Rainbow eggs (or any fresh, local eggs) should sell for substantially more then that. First, I would approach the store directly and in person and just tell them that you want and need their business. At the same time I would make some effort to find an alternate source to sell your eggs and I hope you can find a steady customer that will pay you a fair price. I am sorry that you lost this business but I am just as sorry that you must sell your eggs at what would seem to me to be a loss. Best of luck to you!!

10. bakerjw

bakerjw Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2010
    Johnson City, Tn
    It sucks but it is a free market. Whoever can reliably provide the best quality at the lowest price usually gets the business.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by