Stealing our egg money

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by tinakevin, Jan 21, 2017.

1. tinakevin

tinakevin Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2015
    New hampahire
    Someone stole our egg money!!! i live in a small town and when I get extra eggs I put them for sale at the end of my driveway. There r a few others in the area that do the same thing. We have the honer system for payment but sometimes I guess some people have no conscience. My ladies work too hard for their eggs and I am so mad right now. Are there others out there that this has happened to. If so what was your solution. I guess I have to put a lock on the cash box now but how will customers get change if they need it

2. chickenweirdo1

chickenweirdo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2016
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    Thats such a shame you just can't trust anyone now a days. The only way i can think for your ladies money too be safe is too handle the money yourself.

3. tinakevin

Nov 1, 2015
    New hampahire
    I wish I could but then I would have to stay home and I can't I have to work.

4. chickenweirdo1

chickenweirdo1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2016
    Massachusetts
    My Coop
    Man, people.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 21, 2017
  5. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    If you have enough refrigerator room have your eggs available one day a week or even a half day like Saturday afternoon and sell them when you are there.
    Or if you have some kind of lock box that can be nailed down and a slot put in it so people can deposit the correct amount only.
    Or put out a sign with your phone number on it and have people call you for eggs.
    It's a shame. Around here people use the honor system for lots of things.

6. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Hope you have your cash box attached securely to something, so they can't take the entire box with them. Maybe you could buy one of those phony cameras and have it pointed down(from tree) to your egg area. Badies might notice and leave your stuff alone.

An elderly man usually has a table with beautiful tomatoes on it(in season) and a cash box. He has done this for ages, so maybe his customers are more honest. Rarely he is out there adding more tomatoes - maybe taking some money away). It is not on his land but, a few feet in from the road. Not easy to keep an eye on.

My neighbor once chased guys off that were trying to steal his recycle bins after the weekly pick up. We are in a suburban residential area, not hemmed in with trees etc. Pretty clear view of what is going on - when we are all home. The nerve of these people.

We once put an intact(good condition) toilet out- my mother was changing colors. The next morning found it smashed to bits all over the street & lawn. I figured vandals having fun. Then realized the nice wooden toilet seat was missing. The carnage was them trying to remove it.

7. tinakevin

Nov 1, 2015
    New hampahire
    There's a farmer up the road that leaves his out too I may ask him if he's having the same problem. I'm thinking I may have to screw the money box to the cooler or something. The funny thing is. If your down on your luck I have no problem helping someone in need. Just ask. My dh has a deer camera that I may put on the tree

8. tinakevin

Nov 1, 2015
    New hampahire
    My dh said he said hi to the lady and figured she was buying eggs. But no she took the money. He says he's going to put a sign out there shaming her

9. N F C

N F C eggnog time! Premium Member Project Manager

Dec 12, 2013
    Wyoming
    That's a shame someone took your egg money. Securing the lock box may be the only answer that works for you, and put a sign on it that correct change is required. Too bad everyone can't be trusted.

10. tinakevin

Nov 1, 2015
    New hampahire
    Yes I am thinking of bolting it down to the cooler. I would expect to have this happen in a city or something but I live in a very rural area with farms in much of the area. Too bad society has come to this. It is a shame.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by