Stealing

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mmclaughlin, Aug 10, 2014.

1. mmclaughlin

mmclaughlin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2013
    New Hampshire
    My broody is half way to hatch...and still stealing eggs from others?? She broke one while either adding it to her clutch or pushing it out :( glad it wasn't one of hers! what a mess cleaned her up and changed nest materials , but was careful with the eggs I wiped them not washed them ....hope they'll be ok??? Every day momma gets up someone else tries to sit on her eggs... Should I be concerned ?

2. fleedo

fleedo Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2012
    you shoukd not be too consurend but you need to seperate her and her chickes from the rest of the flock or the adults could attack the chicks
    good luck with your new chicks[​IMG]

3. mmclaughlin

Jul 28, 2013
    New Hampshire
    What would be the best time to move her before the chicks are hatched ? Or after? I so have a nursery set up ...

4. fleedo

Nov 23, 2012
    you should get a nursery set up and move her before the eggs hatch [​IMG] you should move her at night and place her off of her eggs so she can go to find them let her out once in a while but put food and water with her

good luck

5. mmclaughlin

Jul 28, 2013
    New Hampshire
    [​IMG] ok planning on moving mom and eggs (due to hatch 8/20) when I move to the nursery tonight after dark should I close her in the crate or leave it open?? do want to aggravate her :)
    thanks

6. fleedo

Nov 23, 2012
    Put the eggs in the crate and put her on the straw and let her find the eggs

7. mmclaughlin

Jul 28, 2013
    New Hampshire
    thanks.
    but should I close the door to the crate? as I would in the coop at night??
    tonight's the night to move her....as we have had bad weather the last couple days
    can't wait for chicks to hatch getting close!!!

8. fleedo

Nov 23, 2012
    If it is big enough so that half if for her and half for the eggs then lock her in but the run seems strong and safe enough it looks great

Good luck

9. mmclaughlin

Jul 28, 2013
    New Hampshire
    thanks...but she hated it
    moved her at dark. locked her in for the night (thought I would open door in the AM) she clucked a long time..finally sat..(I went to bed) I woke up this am let her out because she was pacing and clucking (not sitting) opened the crate door..she paced in the nursery want wanted out.....so I put her in the run with the rest of the girls and moved eggs to "her" nest in the coop..she relaxed and went back to sitting?? I guess the chicks will have to hatch with the flock and I'll move them after hatch!! Should I try to put up a divider? or let things alone and hope for the best... I told momma no more eggs to hatch for her..... she doesn't play well!!
    thought and ideas anyone??????

10. fleedo

Nov 23, 2012
    many people do hatch eggs inside the coop you could just leave her in the coop and only move her if the other chickens are aggressive with the chicks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by