1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

stealth chicken coop (with pictures)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ra, Mar 25, 2009.

1. ra

ra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    Arkansas
    we just got are 4-5 week old chicks out in the coop. the coop is 4x8 and about 3 1/2 feet tall. the fenced in place were they can run around outside there run is about 10x20 they will also be out in the yard during theday when we are home. it took a lot longer then we hoped. i had arm surgery 5 weeks ago so doing most of the building one handed. the wife and kids also helped a lot. she would hold the boards to be screwed in. are 4 year old girl helped paint it (and my boots) older boys helped move some lumber and hold stuff. it came out ok. things did not line up a lot of the time and the ground is not leave were it is. but all in all it works out.

what do u all think?

ryan

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 25, 2009
  2. HobokenChickenEmergency

HobokenChickenEmergency Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Evansville
    I like it.

And I'm adding it to my list of "45 reasons Dh needs to build us a deck". [​IMG]

3. HeartLunger

HeartLunger Out Of The Brooder

Great idea!

Are those black australorps?

4. mybelle5

mybelle5 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 19, 2008
    Memphis TN
    Excellent![​IMG]

5. Brelansmama

Brelansmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2009
    McMinnville, Oregon
    VERY nice use of space!! Good job!! [​IMG]

6. ra

ra Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    Arkansas
    yep there black australorps. forgot that part. wife has some silkies coming in as well. not sure what we are going to do with them. she said something about dippers [​IMG]

ryan

7. Big Red

Big Red Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2009
    Paradise
    Nice undercover work!! Great idea.

8. lisahaschickens

lisahaschickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2009
    Vancouver, WA
    wow! Very cool! I think that's an awesome idea! Plus, it looks like they have a double-layer of protection at night.... the fence around the "run" under the deck, plus the locked up coop. Very cool, congrats!

9. B.CochinCrazy

B.CochinCrazy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2009
    I love the under the deck!

How will you clean coop?

10. scooter147

scooter147 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Missouri
    Ryan,

Good job!

May I make a recommendation? I would replace the chicken wire door with one made of hardware cloth.
    Coons are very stong and DETERMINED BUGGERS. I can easily see them chewing through the lattice and the chicken wire to get at your chickens.
    I can't tell from the photo but use two locks on the coop door, one at the top and bottom to keep a coon from squeezing in.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by