1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Steamy Kitchen coop feedback?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Simkie, Apr 13, 2017.

1. Simkie

Simkie New Egg

Apr 13, 2017
    Hello all!

I'm new here! My husband and I are planning on a small flock of chickens NEXT spring, so I'm learning as much as I can now. Part of that is nailing down the coop. We'll be building this summer!

After hours (seriously, hours....) clicking through the "coops" tab, and googling, trolling for ready made stuff and looking through CL and FB groups, I keep coming back to the Steamy Kitchen coop:

http://steamykitchen.com/20640-the-palace-chicken-coop.html

Does anyone have feedback specific to this design? Things that stand out as totally awesome (let's not screw those parts up!) or things you would change?

We're in CT--so a little different climate. Planting zone 6b, if that helps. The plan is to have 4-6 chickens. They will get some free range time, but I think we'll have to limit it to when they can be supervised...lots of hawks and fox and coyotes around.

One thing that I would definitely like to change is to move the coop clean out door to the same side as the run walk in door. The "back" side of the coop would only have the ventilation window, which makes more sense with where I'd like to put the coop.

We will also not do the concrete footer and instead build on pressure treated skids. Having the option to drag the entire thing around with the tractor is attractive, I think? No plans to really move it from the planned site, but you never know! We would do an apron of hardware mesh to prevent digging interlopers.

Would love to hear from all of you experts! [​IMG]

2. mobius

mobius Chillin' With My Peeps

It sure looks like a nice build. In my limited experience, I would make the run absolutely as large as you can, larger than in this design...if you can.

Also the holes/wood piece for the vent system are not necessary...hardware cloth by itself would do just fine.

I didn't see roosting bars, but it might be nice to design for two staggered ones if you can.

Before you build do at least check out the Woods coop design. That is what I would build if i could do it over.

Consider planning in a storage area in the coop design.

And![​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
  3. Simkie

Simkie New Egg

Apr 13, 2017
    Thanks, I appreciate the feedback!

There is a roosting bar in place in this post here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-palace

And I have JUST been reading about the Woods coop, so good timing! Very interesting. Will do more research :)

How much storage is needed? The chicken coop will be near my horse barn, so we have quite a bit of room for stuff there. Better to build it in to the coop?

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Welcome to BYC!

Kudos for starting your research early, good move<thumbsup>

Maybe a search here for the Wichita coop will give you some insight on modifications.
    advanced search>titles only>Wichita coop

5. mobius

mobius Chillin' With My Peeps

Well if you have a tack room you may incorporate storage for feed etc there....so not necessary on coop itself....so for further consideration if you garden, there could be a compost setup close by, it goes well with chickens and horses i do believe, lol...do look at the woods coop though...glad you caught that!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by