Steel Shed (10'x8') - Turkey Coop

smoknz28

Songster
Mar 7, 2012
Central Virginia, USA
I can't wait any longer in protecting my turkeys from the foxes. It's been about a couple of weeks of them sleeping on top of the chicken coop or the gate as we couldn't settle on what to put them in to protect them from the varmints. Well we did have them in with the chickens in the their coop, but the turkeys have a tendency to peck at the chickens bullying them around.

Today, I opted for a 10'x8' steel shed from Lowe's.

The clearance price on it was tagged at $264 and I didn't feel this was a bad price.

Got up to the counter to pay for it and it was rung up at $166.80 as it was on an even deeper sale price. Doh! I'm all in for that!

But wait...add in the Military Discount and I'm out the door at $158.08.
thumbsup.gif

My plan is to build some perches inside and a nesting area.

If anyone has some ideas, for this newbie, on what to build inside...please let me know.

Thanks all.

That is a great deal for that shed!!! I need a new one. My shed Identical to that just collapsed this winter under all the heavy snow we got :( If you live somewhere with lots of snow make sure to shovel it off on occasion. And if you plan to close to doors up at night be sure to some how figure in some ventilation and even a window or 2. Also in the Summer time those metal sheds are sweltering hot inside so please keep that in mind.

That is a great deal for that shed!!! I need a new one. My shed Identical to that just collapsed this winter under all the heavy snow we got :( If you live somewhere with lots of snow make sure to shovel it off on occasion. And if you plan to close to doors up at night be sure to some how figure in some ventilation and even a window or 2. Also in the Summer time those metal sheds are sweltering hot inside so please keep that in mind.

Points well noted my friend.
wink.png

I'm looking to find something for my chickens and turkey. This seems like a great idea and easy to put up.

I'm looking to find something for my chickens and turkey. This seems like a great idea and easy to put up.

Be advised....there are a lot of screws.
cool.png

I was hoping to have it all assembled this past weekend before our snow storm, but didn't make it. The ground is prepared for it, but I have yet to make the floor for it. It was either I build a shed or I purchase this steel shed and assemble. Either way I feel I would be out about the same amount of money. At $158 out the door..it was tough to pass up. Though...I must add the price for the flooring. I'd figure I'd put out about another $50 for the wood, joist hangers, fasteners, etc.

Hope to get to work on it as soon as our snow melts off and the ground dries enough.

I'll be sure to report back with photos of it and other ideas I'm working on.

My only experience with these was one we got for our daughter to use for her yard equipment. Eventually, the track for the sliding doors was bent by mowers and repeatedly getting gunked up with grass, etc. and they couldn't be closed completely. I got the door completely open and put up a frame of untreated 2x4's flush against the frame of open shed door. I then hung two sections of plywood for doors, so they'd swing out when opened.

Here are a few threads for metal sheds (framing for roosts/vents/insulation). Advanced search is very good (just remember to use the search button at bottom of page).

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/753890/coop-made-from-a-metal-shed-with-concrete-beneath
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/319754/converting-8x10-metal-shed-to-coop-picture-heavy/10
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/188552/metal-shed-as-temporary-coop

Back
Top Bottom