"Stella" Barred Rock or "Peach" Buff Orpington??

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by eggstamp, Dec 17, 2012.

1. eggstamp

eggstamp Out Of The Brooder

Dec 15, 2012
    [​IMG]
    We have two hens that lay "brown" eggs. Keep in mind, we are novice chicken owners in Sacramento, CA ... Any idea which hen is laying the speckled eggs?? I assume it's Peach but can't confirm.

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Looks like a Welsummer egg. My Buff Orps lay that shade brown to a light tan, but not deeply speckled. Sometimes there will be a light speckling.

I have never had BRs.

3. peepacheep

peepacheep Chillin' With My Peeps

From time to time my 3 BO, 2 BA, and 9 Brahmas will lay speckled eggs. Sometimes the egg seems to pick up little bumps of extra calcium and these absorb the brown pigment more. My BO hens lay eggs much paler and rounder than yours, and they are generally only medium size eggs. By accident I found a way to tell who is laying which egg when I had to spray Blue Kote on a hen's butt. For about a week her eggs had purple streaks on them. This might help solve your mystery if you do not mind a chicken with a blue butt. [​IMG] and [​IMG]

4. Frizzle13

Frizzle13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2012
    Looks like a welsumer egg to me

5. That look's like Daisy's Egg! she lay's egg's that are a Pink color with purple Spot's!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by