1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Step away from the eggs and....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gritsar, Jan 2, 2009.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    no one gets hurt!
    I've read lots of stories about broody hen behavior. I despaired of ever seeing it in my hens. They are not yet a year old, but they lay their eggs and then run out of the coop like their tail ends are on fire.
    When I let them out of the coop this morning I found six eggs to collect. After picking up the first four I managed to stick my hand in a big ol' pile of poo, so I left the other two to come back up to the house and wash my hands.
    When I went back out to the coop I found a buff hen on the nest containing the eggs. Just like always I went to reach under her and WHOA! BACK UP THE EGG TRAIN! She bowed up at me and hissed. I decided real quick that I didn't need to collect those eggs right then. My SO is still laughing at me for letting a chicken run me off. [​IMG]
    Just went back out and she has layed my very first fart egg.
    She left the nest, but does this mean I can look forward to her being the one to go broody in the future?

2. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    She was probably just ticked at you for interrupting her during a private moment!! [​IMG]

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I have WHAT in my yard? :

She was probably just ticked at you for interrupting her during a private moment!! [​IMG]

Well if she's shy she's the only one of the bunch. All the other girls let me poke around under them all I want. Then if I do happen to pull my hand out with an egg they look at the egg like WOW! Where did that thing come from?!? [​IMG]

4. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    [​IMG]

Yeah! Mine too! But, once I opened it when one was in the middle of the process and she looked embarrassed!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by