1. Come check out hundreds of awesome coop pages (and a few that need suggestions) in our 2018 Coop Rating Project!

Step away from the eggs and....

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by gritsar, Jan 2, 2009.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    no one gets hurt!
    I've read lots of stories about broody hen behavior. I despaired of ever seeing it in my hens. They are not yet a year old, but they lay their eggs and then run out of the coop like their tail ends are on fire.
    When I let them out of the coop this morning I found six eggs to collect. After picking up the first four I managed to stick my hand in a big ol' pile of poo, so I left the other two to come back up to the house and wash my hands.
    When I went back out to the coop I found a buff hen on the nest containing the eggs. Just like always I went to reach under her and WHOA! BACK UP THE EGG TRAIN! She bowed up at me and hissed. I decided real quick that I didn't need to collect those eggs right then. My SO is still laughing at me for letting a chicken run me off. [​IMG]
    Just went back out and she has layed my very first fart egg.
    She left the nest, but does this mean I can look forward to her being the one to go broody in the future?

2. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Songster

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    She was probably just ticked at you for interrupting her during a private moment!! [​IMG]

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I have WHAT in my yard? :

She was probably just ticked at you for interrupting her during a private moment!! [​IMG]

Well if she's shy she's the only one of the bunch. All the other girls let me poke around under them all I want. Then if I do happen to pull my hand out with an egg they look at the egg like WOW! Where did that thing come from?!? [​IMG]

4. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Songster

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    [​IMG]

Yeah! Mine too! But, once I opened it when one was in the middle of the process and she looked embarrassed!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by